Need help: Windows MP 10 really messed up

Hi, I recently was using Windows Media Player 10, and ran into some problems with some files, so I decided to try a fresh install of the program. To do this, I tried to delete the program using the "add/remove program" option in the control panel and then go to windows programs. I went through that process and it removed it from the start menu and desktop, but it is still in program files in the c:/ drive. Here's the problem: I went to Microsoft and dl'ed the player, but when i opened up the file to instal it, it alerts me that I am running an incompatable version of Windows. Now, I'm running XP Pro, and I tried three times to dl the XP version and still no go. I tried to restore my computer using system restore: still no go, it doesnt seem like anything chnaged because WMP is still gone and I still have the problem. I am generaly very savvy with computers, but this is driving me up a wall and I really need help (i do alot of video editing for school and use the player to test footage). I would greatly appreciate any help on trying to fix this issue.

Last I had heard / knew, though certainly never experienced, WMP is one of those things that can't be removed. Not sure why, to tell you the truth. My guess is that it's detecting the previous version of WMP and not liking that it's there.

If you need to get back to it, you should be able to run wmplayer (or double-click) from the directory. You can create a shortcut to it.

As to your video files, I would suspect codecs or corrupt files causing problems, not necessarily WMP itself. As an alternative, you might want to try something like Media Player Classic which will play all WMV files (except DRM) and every other file you might have a codec for.

Back