Need help w/ some speakers to add to my HTPC build

howie_23

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just got the parts for my new HTPC (literally they were delivered 20 minutes ago to my office) and I would like to get thoughts on my purchase choices. I know I probly went overboard on the RAM but this machine is also going to be a gaming server for my LAN group. So I wanted/could afford the extra RAM.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128341

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4450e 2.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103256

RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188

I also would like some suggestions for speakers to add to my HTPC. Right now audio is just being played through the TV speakers and I would like to get a 5.1 system to go w/ it. Here's the set I'm looking at:

Logitech X-530
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126

I'd like to avoid spending more than $100 on speakers but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yea main usage is gonna be for streaming HD content from my main machine to my TV. I've already ordered all the parts except speakers and like I said before, I'd like to keep speakers under $100.

Sure, those are fine for under $100. Lots of people are going to debate you with the budget for your speakers, but I don't often do that. truth be told though, you aren't going to get much quality for 5.1 under $100. But to get anything close to adequate performance you will need to at least triple your price range. I am not thrilled with any 5.1 computer speakers for movies. the logitech z5300 is ok, but lacks detail. I usually point people in the direction of an entry Onkyo home theater in a box.

IMHO, and i would hope a lot of people on this forum, $100 isn't anywhere near enough for anything even listenable. Especially for a 5.1 setup. I would use whatever you have at your disposal for the time being until you can afford something worth it.

If you really have only $100 to spend, and it has to be now, ditch any idea of 5.1, hit up ebay/craiglist and get two nice bookshelf's and a receiver that is capable of 5.1 for the future. You can use the bookshelf's as mains for now, then add a center, surrounds and a sub as you can afford them. I wouldn't normally tell someone to mix speaker brands/models (timbre matching, etc...), but compared to how bad that Logitech system would sound, this wont matter a bit.

My logitech X-530 sounds good, the rear speakers no longer work though... I should figure out why they aren't working...

I'm not an audiophile so I'm thinking they'd be fine for me

I'm not an audiophile so I'm thinking they'd be fine for me

Same here, the sub is what makes my speakers sound good to me, they are certainly better than the speakers I had, when playing games, turn the bass up, and instead of a gunshot sounding like a pop [with my old speakers] now it's a boom type noise...
I guess that if speakers are "midrange" they sound the same to me as the bazillion dollar bose [or whatever one they had at bestbuy [it was a couple thousand, at least!]] ones...

I would tend to agree with Criccio,

PC speakers just don't have enough surface area or the mass in the magnets to drive the crisp, warm audio tracks that the studios lay down on the discs.

If you really want to enjoy the content in the fashion that was intended, you need a good amp and good speakers.

You can do this in a cost effective manner. Craig's List always has some audiophile upgrading their h/w and selling their older stuff cheap.

You can pick up a nice system for pennies on the dollar.

You say you are not an audiophile, and that is OK. But I can promise you that you would immediately hear the difference from just an average set of speakers and amp over even some of the best PC speaker solutions.

Most PC speakers I have seen have a THD (harmonic distortion) in the area of 10%. When you get those sudden explosions, peak audio highs from cymbal crashes, etc. You will hear that distortion crackle and hiss as it drives the audio out the speakers.

Signal to noise ratio of the amp in the PC speakers is at best 90dB, even that is unlikely and probably on the average of 70dB.

You really should take a peak around Craig's List in your area, I think you would really enjoy the experience much more with some nice home theater speakers.

i dont know why you guys bother. I havent participated in a thread that has successfully talked a person up from a starting point this low to a decent system. I dont even try anymore.

If you're only going to spend $100, you might as well not even spend $50. Speakers in that price range sound the same ---like shit. Just buy them and don't come back complaining.

I bought a set of creative 6.1 650 THX speakers (although discontinued) New in the box off ebay for $155 delivered. I got an extended warranty through square trade for under $20 bucks. I think its a 3 year warranty.

This set of speakers rock.

Jason

Just an update:
I haven't bought anything yet but b/c of advice on this forum, I've increased my budget to $200 and started looking on Craigslist. Haven't found anything promising yet but I'm looking

A set of used bookshelf's (look for Polk), and a receiver capable of 5.1. Just run the bookshelf's as stereo for the time being.

Back