Need help to pick out a shuttle from you experts

pHatalbOom

Limp Gawd
Hey there guys, I know about computers in general, but not really shuttles. I have been wanting one for several months, and I'm getting closer and closer to buying one. I need help picking one out (price is not really an issue for the best one). Here are my comp stats:

2x Western Digital 80gig'ers (Want to keep both, will not have floppy)
1x Emprex DVD Burner
768mb ram, mushkin
AMD 2000+ OC'ed to 2.272
Sapphire Radeon 9800XT 256mb

There's the SN45G, but the problem with that is that you can only get the 250W powersupply (SilentX) if you're in the UK or Australia. And if you're running the 9800 and two HDDs, you'll probably want the bigger power supply (just check out the forums over @ sudhian.com for problems with lack of power when running a heavy system).

Another problem is overclocking. If you end up with a rev2 motherboard and play around with the vdimm, you're screwed. Unfortunately all new SN45G's only come with the rev2 mobos, so unless you can find one used, refurbed, or as an old stock, you're going to get a rev2 mobo.

Therefore, I'd recommend the SN41G2v2. Stable, and it comes in the better looking case (G2). Plus it comes with the 250W SilentX powersupply (much more quietter than the previous 200W & 220W variants before... dont believe me? Again check out the reviews showing the dBA comparisons of those that use the the older and newer power supplies, and you'll see a big difference).

Also, Shuttle really doesnt make any 'high end' XPCs for AMD, unless you're going the A64 route... even then, it seems like Shuttle is 'intel happy', as all their best systems (and best looking cases) are intel based.

i got a sn85g4 i like it spent 1200 on it 3 days ago, look in sig for specs, so far it's been really really fast.. only downside is that because i have 2 hdd's it gets really hot so i had to add a blowhole to the top

i got an sn45g and im happy as hell w/ it i have had no problems OC with it at all.

xp2500 barton
512 twinx pc 3500
gf4ti4600
2hdds

me too :D
got it before the rev2's yay! i CAN change vcore by 0.1v!:eek: LoL :p

alright, I think im taking r3negade's suggestion on which to get. the SN41G2v2. Read some reviews and its nice for my liking. I'm not going to do any overclocking, since I don't need it. one question though, is on-board sound OK?

Soundstorm rocks for digital audio. I'd say it's one of the best, if not THE best due to the dolby digital encoding on-the-fly. Analog leaves something to be desired though. The quality is about in line with an Audigy 1... but the processor time is as low as anything I've seen.

onboard sounds fine, except for line-in isnt balanced so if you want to take records > Ogg then your better with a dedicated soundcard, but for games its fine. For the load you want to stick in it make sure you get the silent-x 240W PSU or it will be unstable. Another option is to get the antec aria case and m-atx board instead. You might want to upgrade the fan in the back as well the noiseblocker 3A is supposed to be OK.

it is perfectly stable with stock psu...
people usually only get them with a LOT of peripherals... 2 hdd's an optical with a 9800xt is usually still stable, though it may be safer with 250W silentX

noiseblocker is fine, though i prefer silenx... less air, but quieter

jsu718 said:
Soundstorm rocks for digital audio. I'd say it's one of the best, if not THE best due to the dolby digital encoding on-the-fly. Analog leaves something to be desired though. The quality is about in line with an Audigy 1... but the processor time is as low as anything I've seen.

I'd say the analog sound quality is much lower than Audigy 1 IMO. My previous TBSC certainly trumps the sound quality from the analogue output.

Digital is another matter entirely.

I found it to be right in line with the Audigy... The TBSC (which I have two of) is better tthan everything analog up until the Audigy 2.

it is about the same as audigy from the back... the front has a bad job of grounding so there's some interference at times

I have an SK41G and boy it has problems. I swore several years ago that I'd never buy a VIA chipset and look what I did, bought one and it came with a world of problems. Needless to say, don't buy it.

Back