Need help to add and refine my decade long gaming back log.

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
I am currently purchasing my new i7-6700k, GTX 980 ti, 32GB@3200, 1440p gaming rig

It has been FOREVER since I have stopped PC gaming. 2007 ± 1yr. I only stopped because my computer couldn't handle it anymore. Need to catch up on nearly a decade of gaming!!!

My last games I could play was Halo 1, Doom 3, Far Cry 1, and Half Life 2. That should give you a good idea of the timeframe that I have not been gaming.

TIME TO CATCH UP!!!!!!

I thought i was going to get a new rig built twice before and get back into gaming, but life happened and put a hold on things. There are too many games that have been suggested and even more awesome games released since I last asked.

I mostly enjoy FPS games. I play Minecraft PE on my Android and even on my laptop before it died.

Any space fighting sims like Freespace 2 and Wing Commander get released since I last played PC games? I LOVE space sims!!! That genre recover yet?

Love scary games. I'll get an Oculus when it releases and play a bunch of those.

I allow myself one MMORPG game while normal gaming as I can't get lost in more than one gaming world at a time on that scale. Please tell me Warcraft has died allowing others to rise.

Racing games are fun, but don't really last long unless it's really fun and unique. Otherwise, it's mainly a time waster.

Like movies, some games just don't age well with time. But also, I don't want to start in the middle of a franchise the storyline relies on the former games.

My list is growing too large and I need to add more as I haven't added to this list in quite a while. Are there any games where I should ignore some of the beginning of the franchise and start in the middle or end? What games should I add? I'll add your suggestions that I think I'll enjoy to the list.

List so far:

• BioShock
  • Quakes after 3
  • Doom 3 and up
  • Halo's after 1
  • Call of Duty's after 3
  • Mass Effect franchise
  • Crysis franchise
  • Far Cry after franchise
  • Dirt 2
  • New Batman franchise
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Battlefield after Vietnam (Can you provide list?)
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • F.E.A.R. franchise
  • S.W.A.T. 4 & on
  • Fallout franchise
  • GTA IV & V
  • Resident Evil franchise
  • Prey
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • The Witcher
  • Gears of War
  • Trackmania
  • Burnout Paradise
  • King Arthur (the 2004 game?)
  • Need for Speed (can you provide list?)
  • Borderlands
  • Operation Flashpoint 2
  • Risen
  • Call Of Jaurez
  • Dead Space franchise
  • Quantum Of Solace
  • Chronicles of Riddick
  • Prince Of Persia
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Battlestations Pacific
  • Fuel
  • Ghostbusters
  • Drakensang
  • VEGAS 2
  • Brother's in Arms (suggestions?)
  • World In Conlict
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Half Life 2 (OMG, ep 2 was the last? Vaporware?)

• BioShock - Could not get into it. Tried to hold my hand, quit after 15 minutes.
  • Quakes after 3 - No point, unless you like on-rails drab shooters.
  • Doom 3 and up - Great if you like FP horror, don't expect Doom 1/2 style action
  • Halo's after 1 - Halo 2 was great, but under appreciated, Halo 3 was just Halo 2 with better graphics, Halo ODST is actually the campaign standout of the series.
  • Call of Duty's after 3 - The original Modern Warfare was fantastic, jumped the shark after that.
  • Mass Effect franchise - Couldn't get into it, many say it is fantastic, though.
  • Crysis franchise - Crysis 1 is amazing, the rest are on-rails COD clones.
  • Far Cry after franchise - All of them are amazing, 2 is the weakest.
  • Dirt 2 - Really great, more realistic and unforgiving that 3.
  • New Batman franchise - No experience
  • Left 4 Dead - Unless you have at least one friend to co-op through it with you, you arent going to enjoy it.
  • Battlefield after Vietnam (Can you provide list?) - none of them for the campaign, though 3s campaign is not THAT bad.
  • Dragon Age: Origins - No experience
  • F.E.A.R. franchise - Couldn't get into it, supposed to be great.
  • S.W.A.T. 4 & on - No experience
  • Fallout franchise - #1 and #2 are interesting Diablo-stlye isometric RPGs, 3 & up take it first person. Great games for those who have patience and a sense of humour.
  • GTA IV & V - Skip IV, go straight to V.
  • Resident Evil franchise - No experience
  • Prey - Kind of a cult classic. Essentially A mixture between Doom 3 and Duke Nukem 3D in terms of style.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - No Experience
  • The Witcher - Could not get into #1 put in about 20 hours and just lost the will to play, have not tried the rest.
  • Gears of War - #1 is amazing, if dated. Online is a lot of fun, but good luck populating a server. # 2 wears out its welcome. never tried after that.
  • Trackmania - No experience
  • Burnout Paradise - No experience
  • King Arthur (the 2004 game?) - No experience
  • Need for Speed (can you provide list?) - Last one I played was Hot Pursuit on the OG playstation: Fantastic, but probably not related.
  • Borderlands - Great time-waster. Easy to play with a controller on the couch, but not particularly deep. # 2 is better than #1, Co op is recommended but not needed.
  • Operation Flashpoint 2 - Heared good things, no experience.
  • Risen - No experience
  • Call Of Jaurez - No experience
  • Dead Space franchise - Currently on my backlog, no intentions yet.
  • Quantum Of Solace - Theo only Bond game you need is G007 on the N64.
  • Chronicles of Riddick - Heared fantastic things about this one. no experience myself.
  • Prince Of Persia - The reboot is a solid 7/10. "The sands of Time" is a 10/10.
  • Mirror's Edge - Acquired taste. I loved every second of it, but you may not. Turn Runner vision off, try to go the whole game without picking up a single gun.
  • Battlestations Pacific - No experience
  • Fuel - I've only heard bad things about this.
  • Ghostbusters - No experience, but I remember hearing 'okay' things about it.
  • Drakensang - No expereince
  • VEGAS 2 - Like, Rainbow 6? No experience, last R6 game I played was Raven Shield.
  • Brother's in Arms (suggestions?) - No experience.
  • World In Conlict - No experience
  • Test Drive Unlimited - In my backlog, tell me how it goes.
  • Half Life 2 (OMG, ep 2 was the last? Vaporware?) - The original was better: Do yourself a favour and grab Black Mesa, its the best of both worlds.

SWAT 4 is a good tactical FPS game, and it was one of the last of such games. If you are into tactical shooters, you should give this one a try.

STALKER is a great open world FPS, with a unique setting. I love the atmosphere.

Both of these games are certainly graphically dated by today's standard. But they are the memorable ones for me.

Halo's after 1 - pass no thanks
Call of Duty's after 3 - pass, some people would argue MW and MW2 are still good but I got bored halfway through MW and have not been able to pick it back up

Mass Effect franchise *meh*
Crysis franchise - Crysis 1 and Warhead are great, Crysis 2 for some reason looks really dated having trouble starting that one.
Far Cry after franchise - Far Cry 2 is one of the worst games ever made avoid at all costs.
Battlefield after Vietnam (Can you provide list?) Go buy Battlefield 4 its still worth 50 hours and the complete pack is like $15, Bad Company 2 was an amazing Multiplayer game but you missed out. battlefield 3 sucked. deadware.
King Arthur (the 2004 game?) No
Risen - First game is amazing but buggy play if you have patience and a quicksave button
Dead Space franchise - First one is great, I hear part 3 sucks but meh
Brother's in Arms (suggestions?) Its ok, very very dated.

Only comments I have, the rest are fine I suppose.

If you want to add a MMO to the list, I'd suggest Guild Wars 2. It's had a recent expansion, but also has a FTP version as well. FTP is restricted a bit, but that might be good for someone working on other backlog games at the same time. GW2 in my opinion is pretty casual/solo friendly as you can "single-player with other people around" quite easily, overall has a fairly helpful community and grind is really only encountered for cosmetic items. Plus it looks really nice graphically.

I'd also highly recommend the STALKER series.

Metro 2033 Redux & Last Light Redux.

Currently $7.50 for the bundle on Steam. FPS, scary, amazing graphics and environment. Play with no HUD for best experience.

Asking a large group of people you're going to get a lot of differing opinions. Some of the games people love I couldn't stand (i.e. Mass Effect) and I'm sure other games I like people feel the opposite. But one AAA title I don't see listed is Skyrim.

For horror games there have been some good ones. Dead Space, Amnesia, Outlast, Soma, Alien: isolation, The Evil Within, Condemned: Criminal Origin, and I'm sure there is others, but those are ones I'm able to pull off the top of my head.

They range from aliens to zombies to zombie aliens. First person to third person. Tight corridors to cities literally crumbling around you to the deepest depths of the ocean to space ships, and even a frozen planet.

Last edited:
For horror games there have been some good ones. Dead Space, Amnesia, Outlast, Soma, Alien: isolation, The Evil Within, Condemned: Criminal Origin, and I'm sure there is others, but those are ones I'm able to pull off the top of my head.

They range from aliens to zombies to zombie aliens. First person to third person. Tight corridors to cities literally crumbling around you to the deepest depths of the ocean to space ships, and even a frozen planet.

Though it did not age well AT ALL (It suffers from the early-2000's 'footballer' anatomy mixed with terrible animation and the plastic look of the Doom 3 engine), Condemned: Criminal Origins is quite a fantastic first-person survival game. Its also fairly realistic as well, no zombies, aliens or zombie aliens: Just fucked-up junkies and a serial killer. Throw in some supernatural occult BS and you have an AWESOME experience.

I think I want to start from ~2007 and work my way up to Megan games, but throw ONE modern game in to okay when I get bored of my oldies. My eyes have not been spoiled by current gen graphics, so as long as they're as good as ~2007 graphics I'll be just fine. Can't spoil my eyes with awesome current gen graphics or they will be too much of a distraction when I try to catch up from where I left off.

- BioShock - must play, for story and the game in general is just good! Beginning tho is hard to swallow
- Quakes after 3 - naah
- Doom 3 and up - I say its a "jump scare" horror game, better wait for that new Doom :p
- Halo's after 1 - Didn't played thoes after 1 :(
- Call of Duty's after 3 - All of Cods? I mean thoes set in WW2 are good! Modern warfare 1 and 2 are a must play imo. Advance warfare ? Was medium, short but fun. Story is so obvious You play this game for it looks and maybe some lolz
- Mass Effect franchise - Hard to say, play 1 since is best imo and still looks nice, 2 is good but 3 is a damn disappointed
- Crysis franchise - 1 is a must play! 2 is cool fun to play game with a bit easier playstyle then 1 imo. You can skip 3 since is short and I don't think it adds that much tho the last 10 sec of ending are like wtf ?!
- Far Cry after franchise - 1 is ok, avoid 2, 3 is a must play, 4 is optional if You liked 3 like rly rly rrrlyyy much
- Dirt 2 - can't help here I dont play race games
- New Batman franchise - Batmans are good games, If You like Batman and DC in general play it just remember that newest Batman will eat your CPU and ram and Your dog for dinner
- Left 4 Dead - Didn't play it
- Dragon Age: Origins - If You are not scared of graphic :D But I'm myself a loyal Witcher fan
- F.E.A.R. franchise - 1 is a must play just for the AI alone! Haven't played 2 and 3 but I heard 3 is sucky
- S.W.A.T. 4 & on - Didn't played those
- Fallout franchise - TBh, if You want to play a RPG play 1 2 maybe new vegas, if You want semi RPG play Fallout 3 if You want a post-apo simulator play 4
- GTA IV & V - IV is a must play for its story, the characters are cool, Nico is just awesome imo I feel more attached to him then to heroes of GTA V but also GTA V was game of a year so yeah, story is not so holding like in 4 but its a v. good game
- Resident Evil franchise - Didn't play those that much so hard to say
- Prey - skip it, better get imo For lost planet 2
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - if You are a bit of a post-apo guy then yes play it maybe buggy sometimes but game is fun
- The Witcher - YES MUST PLAY! ALL OF IT! 1 Maybe a bit hard to understand but 2 is just pure fun and 3 oh men W3 is just aaawwssooomeee
- Gears of War - Its a ok game played GoW 1
- Trackmania/Burnout Paradise - For me its like the same type of game tbh. Its ok for relaxing to play for 1h or 2 but nothing special imo
- King Arthur (the 2004 game?) - Didn't play that
- Need for Speed (can you provide list?) - Most wanted I, Underground, Underground II - must plays
- Borderlands - must play 1 and 2 you may skip pre-sequel so far for me it was boring unless you are a very lore/story guy then pre-sequel answers a lot of stuff
- Risen - Well this is tricky, You see Risen was made by the same ppl who made Gothic, In middle and east europe Gothic was very popular, Risen tried to be as awesome. Risen 1 is ok I have a lot of fun playing it Risen 2 is also ok the story gets weard but the game itself is ok if You like odd combat system. Risen 3 is 2 but with better graphic
- Dead Space franchise - Action horror game, same as fear/doom imo. Good to play but isn't rly a must play imo, Some jump scares but hell You get guns to counter them :D
- Chronicles of Riddick - YES! Escape from B. was a very nice game, If you like a bit stealth/action shooting game go for it. Dark Athena is ok but less stealth imo
Prince Of Persia - Must play imo, Sands of time and warrior within. You can skip Two Thrones, they made a new Prince I think it was just called Prince of Persia from em... 2013 ? WIth that odd graphics it was a ok game, ending rly grabbed my heart but I feel rly hollow after it. Didn't play rest of them since tbh for me the real prince ended after Warrior within
- Mirror's Edge - must play, very original idea, lovely graphic, nice story
- Battlestations Pacific - nah
- Fuel - Better get mad max game ;p
- Ghostbusters - naah you can skip it imo
- Drakensang - if You are in to strong story RPGs then yes must play
- VEGAS 2 - You mean Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 ? Hard to say, didn't had time to get deeper in to this game
- Brother's in Arms (suggestions?) - Didn't played that, have it on my: Play one day list
- World In Conlict - Didn't played that, have it on my: Play one day list
- Test Drive Unlimited - Didn't played that
- Half Life 2 (OMG, ep 2 was the last? Vaporware?) - what a stupid question in this ?! :D Ofc play!!

I say You should add

Must plays:
- Serius sam: first and seccend encouter with upgarded graphis and Serius sam 3 avoid 2 at all cost!
- Saints row 3 and 4
- Darksiders I and II
- Sleeping dogs
- Brutal Legend
- Icewind Dale I and II

Ok to play:
- Lichdom Batlemage
- Viking Battle for asgard
- Bulletstorm
- Metro
- Just Cause 2

Mass Effect and Witcher series are must plays. Same with Dragon Age Origins (I thought Inquisition was good too). Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is also a must play.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution should be high on that list, as should Mass Effect. Some of those games have not aged so well (in the OP's list). Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising/Red River are "meh"; the ArmA series is the real successor to the original game. Full of shortcomings but still better. Vegas 1/2 are also average and are severely dumbed down. Essentially not R6 games. They were fun in the day but they have not aged so well and with limited time there are better games to play. SWAT 4 and Rainbow 6 Raven Shield are your options for your tactical shooter itch. Others to play that I didn't see mentioned:

Dishonored
Mirror's Edge
Hitman Absolution
Max Payne 3
Mad Max
Wolfenstien The New Order/Old Blood
Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeros / Phantom Pain - didn't play the PP myself
Watch Dogs
Sleeping Dogs
Red Faction Guerrilla
Tomb Raider reboot
Assassin's Creed Blackflag - garbage controls aside. Maybe play with a controller
Assassin's Creed Rogue - they finally got the controls working in this one, actually very enjoyable
Splinter Cell Blacklist

The games I am mentioning are for SP. Partially because most of the good MP games aside from the recent ones are dead.

Last edited:
Back