Need help setting up Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 behind a router

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to set up Windows 2003 Small Business Edition and Exchange 2003 in my house. The problem is that the computer that I'm hosting Windows 2003 behind a router. My router is a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT installed on it. I already have a hostname ready and pointed at my IP address. My ISP is Optimum Online w/ Boost, Boost lets me host servers so I'm not violating the TOS.

I already have Windows 2003 installed but before I can install Exchange I need to install a DNS server and an Active Directory. I'm not sure what to do from here. I've did this once before and I messed up, so here I am on a fresh install. For my zone name, should it be my IP address? or should it be my domain name that I've registered? or should it be my internal IP address?

Thanks

what you use internal has nothing to do with external.

You should be able to follow the prompts when launching the 'configure my server' and choose 'active directory server' (or some name like that.,...cant remember exactly right now)

Just my personal preference...but I would use somename.PRIV for my internal domain name...when you setup exchange..you can add in your 'weburl.com' address

Follow the prompts and all should be good

Do I still need to configure a DNS server?? So I enter my domain name which is arthurluo.com instead of my external IP address?

Yes, you still need to configure DNS.

Windows SBS, as you know does everything on one box. So, when you have your SBS box setup you will have Active Directory, DNS Server, File Server, etc.

All you should have to do is a forest prep, domain prep, and then install exchange.

From there, you can open up port 25 on your router and point it to your SBS box. You should also add a recipient policy that indicates your SBS Exchange box is responsible for email sent to @domanname.tld.

That should get you a basic setup..

Riley

You don't need to run forest or domain prep in SBS to install Exchange. All you need to do is run the base install of 2003 server and then it should prompt you the first time you login to continue setup using the SBS wizard. This will install DNS, AD, and Exchange for you. You just fill in a few boxes. You also don't need to worry about recipient polices unless you're going to host mail for more than one domain. You really would have to make an effort to screw up an SBS 2003 install, it's all wizard driven and very straightforward. If for some reason you cancelled the wizard when it tried to run, there should be an icon on the desktop called Continue SBS Setup or something like that, just click it and go.

The prompts will lead you through everything, you wont have to enter the arthurluo.com until prompted by one of the exchange setup wizards

also dont forget to forward port 4125 for Remote Web Workplace

You don't need to run forest or domain prep in SBS to install Exchange. All you need to do is run the base install of 2003 server and then it should prompt you the first time you login to continue setup using the SBS wizard. .

Right..don't try to do everything manually. You said this is SBS...let it's own install routine do the work. Just follow the install wizard..it holds your hand through the whole process...with excellent help sections with each step if you need it.

You don't need to "configure DNS", the wizard does it for you
You don't need to "configure Exchange"..the wizard does it for you.

For additional help...
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx
Specifically
http://www.smallbizserver.net/tabid.../Planning-and-installing-your-SBS-server.aspx

Back