Need help setting up a terminal (...?) server

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, here's what I want to accomplish: I want to be able to use my main pc/any pc on the network (all of which would be Windows), use a program such as Exceed to remote into a Unix/Linux box. Instead of a graphical interface though, I only want the command line. From here, I'll be able to use vim, gcc, etc - the main purpose would be for development.

I've seen it done before, and I really like the set up. I have a spare 2ghz pc that I'll use for this, so I should have enough horsepower to run it. However, I haven't the faintest clue as to what to install where, how to set it up, and what network settings I need to take care of. Furthermore, I don't even know what this is actually called. I have a Verizon FiOS router (Actiontec MI424WR I think? Something along those lines, they only have one type of router) but I'm willing to get any other networking hardware I need (within reason) to set it up. The way it's set up right now is all my PC's are connected to the router and files/printers are shared via a workgroup.

Literally all you need to do is install Linux somewhere and install OpenSSH, this'll do exactly what you want, you can then use something like PuTTY to connect.

Back