Need help setting up a terminal (...?) server

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, here's what I want to accomplish: I want to be able to use my main pc/any pc on the network (all of which would be Windows), use a program such as Exceed to remote into a Unix/Linux box. Instead of a graphical interface though, I only want the command line. From here, I'll be able to use vim, gcc, etc - the main purpose would be for development.

I've seen it done before, and I really like the set up. I have a spare 2ghz pc that I'll use for this, so I should have enough horsepower to run it. However, I haven't the faintest clue as to what to install where, how to set it up, and what network settings I need to take care of. Furthermore, I don't even know what this is actually called. I have a Verizon FiOS router (Actiontec MI424WR I think? Something along those lines, they only have one type of router) but I'm willing to get any other networking hardware I need (within reason) to set it up. The way it's set up right now is all my PC's are connected to the router and files/printers are shared via a workgroup.

Jaffa Cakes!

Limp Gawd
Literally all you need to do is install Linux somewhere and install OpenSSH, this'll do exactly what you want, you can then use something like PuTTY to connect.