Need help setting up a printer on a wireless network

tickle_me_emo

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried googling for this solution but came up empty. I also tried this network magic program but it turned out to be a pain in the ass to set up. So i'm coming to you guys to hopefully set this up.

I have a d-link wireless router wbr-2310.

The computer that has the printer is connected to the d-link router via ethernet cable. This computer also has windows 2000 on it. The printer is a HP Officejet Pro K550.

The computers that I want to be able to use this printer are laptops that have windows Vista. These laptops can access the internet just fine though the router.

So what are the steps I need to do be able to print from the Vista laptops? If there's a good website that can help me out i'll settle for that too. Thanks.

Make sure they are in the same workgroup

On the vista machine use add printer wizard for local printer and find your printer or one similar to it using vistas built in drivers, unless you can find the vista driver for the printer then use that, add it as a local printer and create a "local port", name the port using the windows2000 computers name and printer share name

for example

\\ComputerName\PrinterName

you name the printer when you enable sharing on it default is usually Printer or Printer1

Just like that and vista should connect over the network to it using the driver you specified, if you do it any other way you may get access denied since vista may try to grab the driver off the 2k machine which wont work.

Back