Need help selling my old junk car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooj

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I have a 2000 daewoo leganza that has 80k miles on it but something always seems to break on it, so this last one was the alternator and im choosing to just junk it instead of fixing it.

my questions is anyone ever go through the process of selling their junk car and how much do you get from these places?

i guess i could get the car fixed at a shop for 400 or so dollars but then i'd have to sell it and prob get 1k for it so i net 600 bucks maybe?

any helpful comments would be appreciated.

cheers!

cars are always going to break man, why cant fix the atlernator yourself? its not a hard job at all.
daewoo's are bound to break alot more than most cars tho..

but you should be able to bring in more than just $1000 for it..

fix it, list it on craigslist for $1500-2000. you'll get a buyer.. someone's always looking to buy a car you just gotta wait it out.

i dont have the tools and looking things up on the internet or paying someone to do it, is just too much. plus the car always seems to break something as soon as i fix one thing.
if i knew how and had the tools, ofcourse i;d fix it or had a friend who knows his way around a car.

autozone.com gives you a repair guide, a simple $15-25 socket wrench set and 1-2 wrenches and about 30mins you'll be up and running..

your best bet is just leaving it as-is and list it on craigslist in your area for $1200
some mechanic inclined person will come along and buy it no problems.

yeah alternator are easy. i did brakes and i never did brakes before. and i saved a ton of cash. i got the tools spent a total of around $100 when it would of cost about $300-500 but still i saved alot of cash. its better to just learn and read and do it your self because the skill to have with you. is priceless

Any used/cheap car you get will have its share of problems/maintenance, they aren't perfect.

If you can work on a computer, you can work on a car, especially replacing the alternator. Just make sure you unhook the battery before you start on anything electrical. If you feel that you will be owning used cars in the foreseeable future, its never a bad time to start picking up the skills necessary to maintain them.

To answer your question, if you sell the car to a Pick-A-Part junkyard like Ecology you should expect to get $100-200 for a car of the vintage. They will come get it.

If you take the car to a metal scrapping facility you should net around $150. For both of these scenarios you must have the pink slip to the vehicle, and you must be the free and clear owner.

That is a fairly new car with low miles. I would think you could get 1500-2000 for it on craigslist.

If your in California you can opt to retire the car for 1,500 in cash, just have to contact the state and fill out paperwork. You use to have to fail smog first but they did away with that requirement.

yeah alternator are easy. i did brakes and i never did brakes before. and i saved a ton of cash. i got the tools spent a total of around $100 when it would of cost about $300-500 but still i saved alot of cash. its better to just learn and read and do it your self because the skill to have with you. is priceless

Some cars are easy, some cars are a pain in the ass.
Saturns coupes have the Alternator on the bottom of the motor so you have to jack up the car and get it from beneath.
Daewoo may be similar, so it may not be easy.
My 88 Formula has the alternator on the top and takes 5 minutes to swap out.

Here you go,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_the_alternator_on_a_2000_Daewoo_Leganza

Junkyards pay $50 to $150 around here for junk cars, and you need the title in hand in your name. Sometimes it's a bitch to get rid of a car with no title or a title in someone elses name.

Last edited:
You prolly are better off just trying to sell it on craigslist. A running car, or one that does not need much work to get running is worth a $1k or more. Even if it is an eleven year old Daewoo with 80k on it. Hell, I sold a rusted out, barely running 96 Camry with over 300k on it for $2500 a few months back.

damn zepher we bring in $10 per 100lbs
for a 2600lbs compact car thats $260.

junking a car is not worth it unless you have major issues and this, is not one of them.
man up grab a beer and get to wrenching :)

You can probably get $1000-$2000 for it. I got $500 for a 1996 corolla that wasn't running and needed a complete engine swap. It will be especially easy to move if you live in an area with a lot of mexicans.

You can probably get $1000-$2000 for it. I got $500 for a 1996 corolla that wasn't running and needed a complete engine swap. It will be especially easy to move if you live in an area with a lot of mexicans.

How many can you fit in a Daewo0?:D

Go to Shuck's O'Reilly's and get an alternator. Ask the guys behind the counter if they want to make 50 bucks. They will probably put it in for you after hours.

An alternator is easy. You will need a set of wrenches (Metric), possibly a screwdriver, and depending on where it is, jack and jack stands. A breaker bar is usefull for the serpentine belt - the tensioner will have a square hole in the center - stick the breaker bar in there and use it to loosen the tensioner before you take off the belt.

I did my 05 Mustang GT with no manual in under 15 minutes. My 97 Expedition took about 30 (would have been faster but the motor was hot, so I was trying not to get burned).

Hell I've changed a starter on a Toyota Celica in a parking lot with no jack and no jackstands.

If you don't want to keep the car at least fix it before you sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back