Need help reverting to xp

oshia86

Gawd
I just switched my hard drive out for a raptor x with vista 32. My old hd being a seagate 160gb had vista 32 on it. Now im trying to install xp on the old seagate in a different computer but i keep getting errors saying some files are corrupted. Ive reformated and wiped the seagate clean with the vista disk management utility, is there anything else im missing as to why xp will not install?

I got past the errors, now after i hit enter to install xp it is telling me there is no hd found. Ive installed xp many times and never had a problem. The sg hd is all plugged in and it shows up in the bios. Could there be some issue with clearing it with the vista utility?

Download gparted. It's a open source, linux/livecd based hard drive management software. Tell it to format the hard drive and re-create the partition. If that doesn't work, something about your hardware is hosed.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Thank you, wierd thing is it was just installed with a vista partition and working fine. And it shows up in the bios but the xp setup wont see it. Thanks again though, ill try that.

NP. I had a similar issue a few years ago with a drive going from linux to windows, and for some reason, XP just didn't want to see the HD right, or allow an install.
Since, gparted is a tool I always keep on hand. It makes partition and HD management ridiculously easy.

I think im following your instructions, but im not actually trying to format, im trying to erase the disk and do a clean install of xp on it.

Yea, I know. But there's something about the partition that's on the HD that is keeping that from happening. Sometimes re-writing the partition all together is the only think you can do.

Thanks for the help, I got xp to start installing by hooking everything to another computer, once its done i will try to install the drive on the old computer and pray.

I would use dban to wipe the old drive completely out. Then, put the wiped drive in the new computer and do a fresh install. Google for dban. Burn it to a disc and boot to the optical drive. Once the drive is wiped, there will be nothing left on it to cause a conflict.

Well i got it working, I got to the point to where it would install and it got about 1/4 of the way and told me a file was missing so i rebooted and did a repair and all is well.

I spoke to soon, i installed it in the old computer and now im getting bsods as soon as the load screen comes up

"Ive reformated and wiped the seagate clean with the vista disk management utility"
---How are you wiping the Seagate clean via the Vista disk management utility if your installing XP?
You should be booting off the XP CD, then deleting the partitions on the Seagate, then creating a new partition, then installing XP to that partition.

" now after i hit enter to install xp it is telling me there is no hd found."
---What chipset is on this motherboard your trying to install XP on? Sounds like you have RAID or AHCI enabled and need to provide drivers for the chipset via F6 when installing XP.

I attached the sg hd to the new computer (with the raptor) and booted up on the raptor and used the disk management utility in vista, the drive had vista on it and that at the time was my only way to get it off. I did allready boot with the xp cd and actually instally installed xp on the drive with a new (non-quick) format and partition. The old mobo is a k8n neo 2 fir with a via chipset and raid in disabled. Me and my brother are swapping out parts now. I will double check the raid settings though as i know this board has odd issues with it And im planning on running only 1 hd with each comp so no raid

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I looked at the raid settings and Via chipset set to SATA and continue to work my way through the menus and Promise controller set to RAID. DAMNIT! all this trouble for something like this. We got it to boot fine. Thanks again and i will report back as soon as we see a welcome screen

Back