Need help purchasing new headphones

Sgt.Rock

n00b
This is my first post, so before I start off, I'd like to say hello to everybody on the forums. :)

Allright now, I've been searching around on the forums now looking at recommendations for headphones and the like, but I think it would still be best to get some input before I make any decisions.

Heres what I'm looking for in the headphones: good range, good detail, Overall good sound quality, a strong bass (something I can feel) and closed. It'll be used mostly for gaming, though listening to music will be a close second. I'm trying to stay around the 100-150 USD area and I understand that, more than likely, compromises will have to be made. I have an X-FI Gamer Fatality sound card as well.

At first I was thinking about getting a 5.1 headset, but after a little snooping around, it seems that not only is the sound quality terrible, but that directional audio can be had just as well using CMSS-3D. After a little more snooping, I think I've found some good heaphones but there are so many choices. Here's what I've got so far:

Audio Technica ATH-A700
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A700-Closed-back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B0002ERGQ0/ref=pd_sbs_e_3

Sennheiser HD-555
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...cs&qid=1217199785&sr=8-7#moreAboutThisProduct

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (Can't really find them for 150 as suggested by some guides)

and as a very last resort; Koss SB40 (just to call it a day)
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-SB40-Computer-Headset-Microphone/dp/B00005ML7T

I'm not an Audiophile by any means, but I do appreciate good sound quality and can hear the difference as well. This is actually my first step up; I've been using some pretty crappy headsets so far (though they were better than my speakers). Thanks for all the help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the Denons I got but they are not heavy in the bass department. I still haven't decided if that's a good thing or bad but the overall sound quality is nice.. I got the AH-D1000. To judge by the reviews you're on the right track with the ATH-A700 and HD-555.

Good luck finding those Beyerdynamics for $150. That was my first choice, too. ;)

Now, wait until the real audiophiles show up to get some better advice (= real world experience).

I have the ATH-A500s (basically the same setup as the 700s). They're very comfortable, and don't clamp tightly while managing not to fall off one's head. They're closed, and do a pretty darn good job isolating you from outside noises, which is either good (roommates you hate, sitting in a train station) or bad (roommates you like, walking in the street). They also shift up and down when I walk due to the light clamping pressure.

I like them a lot, and for $100 they're a darn good deal, but my next cans will be open and lightweight. I'll keep these, but a pair that I can hear through or walk around in would be nice to have too.

Good bass=DT770Pro
HD555=open
As far as i know the Audio Technicas dont have a strong bass. So if you can spare the extra $ go with the Beyerdynamics, you will be satisfied with them.
As a notice: i can buy them here in Romania for 260$ :(.

For that price range I'd definitely look into the ATHA700s

I've had a500s and a900s and just love the line and they're great for long hours of gaming.

the 700s are the best you can get but do not have bass slam like the 770. Knowing that, I would still get the 700 b/c detail is in the mids and highs. Strong bass response, at these lowest levels of headphones, means drowning out the details.

So, detail or big bass. Not both. Sorry.

You will hear the bass notes on the 700 though. Just won't feel them as much.

The huge sound stage will make you forget about that issue.

A complete reverse but still true is the koss sb40. It has more bass than the 700 and more detail than the 770. I know, your head hurts right? Ok.

My advice? Just get the koss for now. If it lacks anything then you at least have a good backup. You will probably be very happy with the sb40 anyway. Most everyone I know who gets them as their first real headphones are happy with them. They are way better than the price.

If you are willing to go with a non certified retailer through Ebay you can get either set within your price range.

DT770 - 80 Ohm version- 149 free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT...ryZ14985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ATH - A700 - 89 + Shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-...ryZ14985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I recently bought a pair of the SB40's on Spacemans recommendation and am pretty satisfied they are definitely better than the two sets of 5.1 headphones I own. Plus for 30$ you cant go wrong. I did Try a set of the Beyer DT770 at the local guitar center and they have Head pounding bass which would be pretty overwhelming for gaming especially any FPS with grenades. For my next pair I might be looking into an Open Air set the SB's are so tight I tend to sweat a little around the ears but if you want isolation I haven't hear my wife nag since I got them :eek:.

Carter

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
naw. The 770 sound stage is ok for gaming. not as good a sound stage as the 700 though. hell the koss is better for gaming than the 770. sorry.

now the 770 based Darth Beyer is a different beast altogether. Starts around $300 though.

Allright, I'm gonna take Spaceman's advice right now and get the Koss for now and sometime around Christmas or B-day see what I can scrounge up from what I get from the family :D

Thanks for the advice everybody.

naw. The 770 sound stage is ok for gaming. not as good a sound stage as the 700 though. hell the koss is better for gaming than the 770. sorry.

now the 770 based Darth Beyer is a different beast altogether. Starts around $300 though.

So basically A700>770Pro at gaming
A700>770Pro at music
770Pro>A700 for a bass addict
Is that correct? If yes then i'm sold for the ATs.

Well, I got my Koss SB40's a couple of days ago and have been messing around with them and playing games and I've gotta say, I'm duly impressed. I love them, the detail, the bass, the isolation, just about everything about them.

Course, I'm failry inexperienced with audio, so being a step-up from a crappy pair of headsets is probably what makes these seem so great. Makes it so I can't wait until I get something even better :D

Back