Need help pinpointing a clog / opening the flow

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I'd been running my custom loop for maybe two weeks and earlier this week the flow suddenly stopped, and I shut off the machine. Since then I've been trying to figure out where the clog is and hopefully get the flow back up to where it was originally, but so far I've had no luck.

I started by removing my fluid flow meter and cleaning it up, then reconnecting the pump. That didn't do it. I then removed the fluid filter from the loop and connected a U pipe to bypass it. That didn't work either. That means the block could be one of the blocks, and I'm at a loss as to how to clear the pipes with minimal collateral damage.

What do other people do? I've read something about hydrogen peroxide, and also water with vinegar. My coolant is Feser One, but since my Reserators were both used, I figure there's quite a bit of gunk left in them. I'm not even sure how to clean the inside of the blocks, either.

To clean the blocks you need to take them apart and boil some distilled water + vinegar and use a soft tooth brush (or anything similar) to clean them. Same goes for the rads but you fill it up with boiled distilled and vinegar and shake it then rinse again with distilled. Another problem could be if you ran your pump dry and you may have killed it. Check for any kinks in the tubing as well.

I don't think the coolant could have clogged it up so quickly, but I'd ditch it to begin with and use distilled + pt nuke.

I tested the pump by going through the reserators only and it worked fine, but I just noticed a leak in the pump, so I might have to consider a new model.

Is there any way to clean the blocks while they stay on the mobo, or is that just asking for more trouble? Do you think if I pump distilled water and vinegar through the loop now (after purging the coolant) it might clean any of it?

You'd need the loop to constantly be filled and dump the water out. Simply filling your res with hot distilled water and vinegar then running the loop will only move any dirt or particles around the loop. It needs to be flushed out basically.

What pump are you using?

I'm using a generic magnetic drive pump rated at 350GPH nominally, but I'm thinking about swapping it out for an Eheim model (hopefully I can find one in the next few days). I think tomorrow i'm going to get some vinegar and distilled water, along with another bucket and try to flush the water through the system for a while. I"m not sure why the coolant would clog up so quickly, but hopefully this might dislodge anything in there.

Back