Need help picking Ryzen 3 Motherboard.

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
So I'm still running my trusty old i5 4690K at 4.5ghz. But I'm looking at upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600.

I recently went from a GTX970 to an MSI 1660 Super Gaming X because it's pretty much silent, and I was sick of the loud fan on my ITX 970 card.

Now, I've been eyeing several MSI B450 boards, but it seems like they all have major issues with BIOS/Stability... or it's the no news is good news situation? The BIOS updates come out and nobody complains anymore?

The B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is the one I have my eye on the most, I like that it has Intel LAN/Wifi/BT, and the ALC1220 Audio with Optical out. Looks nice, RGB with Mystic Light so I can sync with my GPU with only 1 program.

Now I think If I'm spending more than the Gaming Pro Carbon AC costs, I'd like to just jump to X570... with the MSI MPG Gaming Plus.

Really what I want out of a board is the ALC1220 with Optical Out, not bottom tier VRM, a board I won't have to fight with because of BIOS issues like on my old Gigabyte board that's even older... SLI would be cool, but we all know it's never worth adding a second card in a few years, just buy a better single.. ?

I'd also like to go with 3600mhz Memory and try some Memory overclocking, or at least manually tighten the timings up, I've never dabbled with that, and it seems as though an All-Core overclock isn't very helpful on Ryzen 3, so making the memory work better is what I'd like to do this time around. I've always just bought kits with XMP profiles and set and forget. So a board that can handle memory tweaking would be good.

I miss the days where if you wanted a good board you just bought a DFI board :)

I'm looking to spend $250, or less, Canadian Rubles.. please help me decide.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite wifi tics your boxes, and seems well reviewed. I've got a good X470 Taichi, but I almost pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte over Thanksgiving, when it was on sale in the states for $150.

Picked up the Gigabyte board.

To my surprise, Ryzen 5 3600X was on sale for $20 more than the 3600 was. :) I got the last one at my local Canada Computers.

I have a 3600 on a Gigabyte AB350M - DS3H with a mixed bag of G - Skill paired to make 16Gb in all 4 slots in XMP 3200Mhz profile .. on that board with that 3600 it loves 4.2Ghz all core

For a 3600, any AM4's VRM will be enough, so long as the BIOS is updated.

The 3600/X uses about 10W less power than the 1600X, and 30W less than the 2600X.

If you're not on a APU system, system RAM is not that important. get more RAM instead of faster. I bet the gaming standard will be 32GB next year as 3D professional software needs basically more than 64GB today.

Garbage b450m ran max all core clocked 2600 and 1700x fine.
Can’t see a cpu with less draw being a problem.

my desktops are all on Ethernet.

more ram and max io nvme are neglected domains.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite wifi tics your boxes, and seems well reviewed. I've got a good X470 Taichi, but I almost pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte over Thanksgiving, when it was on sale in the states for $150.

Sometimes with the prices of the X570, you can find a top tier like the Taichi X470 for cheaper than a mid tier X570..

I have an MSI x570 Gaming Plus with an R9 3900X and 32 GB Corsair 3600 Ram running at 3800 just fine since September. Great little board and OC'd all core to 4.4Ghz just fine. Memory runs great at 3800 with the fabric at 1900. Non WiFi version since I already have a Netgear A7000 adapter that runs great and gives me solid 300-400mbps speeds on my 400mbps internet service. Board has been great and benching never makes the VRM's very warm let alone hot. Measure the heatsinks with a laser thermometer and they hit mid to high 30's on the heatsinks and 50's according to HWInfo64 running Prime95 for over 30 minutes.

Noob here... apologies if I am on the wrong thread. I too am trying to select a Mobo for a 3970x. I am short listed on the ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming.

Question I have is.... Can I install 6 sticks of RAM?

I have 8 sticks in my current x99 build, but want to leave 2 in there to keep it functional. this leaves me with 6 sticks.

Will the TRX40 work with 6 DIMMS?

Noob here... apologies if I am on the wrong thread. I too am trying to select a Mobo for a 3970x. I am short listed on the ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming.

Question I have is.... Can I install 6 sticks of RAM?

I have 8 sticks in my current x99 build, but want to leave 2 in there to keep it functional. this leaves me with 6 sticks.

Will the TRX40 work with 6 DIMMS?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...NG/E15915_ROG_STRIX_TRX40-E_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf
You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A, Channel B, Channel C, and Channel D. The system maps the total size of the lower‑sized channel for the quad‑channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher‑sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.
The pictures of valid DIMM configurations include 6 DIMM support, so yes, but note the above quote.

I use a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and have had no issues at all with BIOS except I had to set the DDR4 3000 manually (XMP did not work correctly though I use memory that's listed on the QVL list). Other than that I found this board to be very good indeed - IMO it's the best bang for the buck

Photo Disclaimer: the tank is not included and the red LEDS do not actually emit flames of fire
1.jpg

Last edited:
Back