Need Help Pci-X Riser + ATX + External PSU

sirus20x6

n00b
ok so for my next computer I've decided to do something really different. I want to get a nice rig in a very small case because I move this thing around weekly.

I basically want a 45nm Quad core core 2 duo, my existing 8800GT card and put it in the smallest case possible. so small that I want to use a flexible riser card to make the Vid card lay flat. I need to find a Mobo that has 1 built in gigabit ethernet connection, at least 6 total usb slots (dont care how many are in back VS just board headers), and built in sound card.

I want to mod a small case like a 2u or something so be as small and light as possible if I have to have the psu seperate to make the case smaller that's fine. I figure I can get a modular psu, dremel in the atx header and junk so that when I take it apart it almost fits in a back pack (think xbox 360 power brick style).
Now I know there are some really tiny PSUs too so that part is just a thought. Ive also once heard of this really small solid state psu that didn't need any fans or anything but if I remember correctly it was only like a 135watt which of course wouldn't do.

if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on cases or specific mobos to help I'd love to hear them.

if there are any mini-atx boards that will do quad core and pci-x 16x I would jump on it.

I've found some micro atx mobos but all of them seem to have the intel g31 or g35 chipset, I'd like to find one with an x38 or x48

There is no X38/X48 mATX mobo. Intel's current mATX chipsets are the G31/G33/G35 series. So those are your only choice.

Though, how come you're not going with a Shuttle? Shuttles are much smaller than many small cases out there. Wouldn't a 19" rack be kind of cumbersome to carry around? Even if it is only 13" deep.

I would be cutting it down a lot, Basically i would have a mobo, a sideways video card, the cpu/cpu cooler, and one hard drive all stacked as close together as possible. Any excess would be trimmed off and shortened. I would try to use a atx power header extention to bring all the power connectors to the side so I can have the psu separate unless I could find a really really tiny one.

When It's all said and done I'd like it to be much smaller then a shuttle maybe 10", 10", 3" ???

then get an HTPC case, those are already motherboard size with just enough room for 1 optical drive and 1 or 2 hard drives

When It's all said and done I'd like it to be much smaller then a shuttle maybe 10", 10", 3" ???

quad core + 8800GT in a space that small? sounds like a fire. Honestly, I don't think you'll have the airflow required to cool a quad and a 8800GT.

You might need to look at a complete kit for something that small... a quick search revealed the mCubed's HFX mini... review http://www.silentpcreview.com/article678-page1.html

Not sure what your budget is for such a box though.

Still a bit too cramped. mATX mobos are 9.6" x 9.6". Many Shuttle systems are smaller than that.

then do they use a mobo smaller then mATX?

I do really like that power brick in the hfx.
btw there would be no optical drive. I have a pretty nice external that suites me just great. I rarely have to use optical media anymore

then do they use a mobo smaller then mATX?
Yup, that they do. Shuttle makes/uses custom size mobos for their cases. Most of them are smaller than mATX mobos. Some of them are almost the same size as ITX mobos. So I highly recommend going with a Shuttle if a small size and relatively ease of transport is important to you. Hit up this Shuttle forum for more info on Shuttles:
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewforum/4/

Back