Need help overclocking my Core i5 750 and Gigabyte P55A-UD3

Hi guys, I'm currently using a Core i5 750, Gigabyte P55A-UD3, and 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 12800. The heatsink used is the Thermalright Ultima 90. IIRC, temperature is hovering in the 28C to 30C range.

Right now speed is at default. Ultimately I would like to do 4ghz on air if possible. However, I know nothing is ever guaranteed so I guess I'll have to raise the clock speed carefully.

IIRC, stock speed is at 2.66ghz. My first goal is to try 3.5ghz. Can someone tell me what settings I should use in the BIOS to increase the chance of hitting 3.5ghz? I would prefer tight timings, but it's not necessary. What voltages should I try using? After overclocking the system, I plan to use Prime95 for stability test and hopefully things will pan out.

Thx for the help in advance!

Ok so I did a bit more research on this matter and tried to do an initial overclock to 3.4ghz. It booted to the desktop without any issues. I loaded up Core Temp program and it displayed the CPU temperature in the mid-80s for all cores. I was surprised by the temperatures, but I thought maybe it's inaccurate. I decided to run Prime 95 and then temperatures skyrocket to 99C for all 4 cores. Prime 95 was still chugging along without any issues so I decide to go and clean one of my LCDs behind me. Then just out of the blue, the PC just shuts down. It literally powered off.

Initially, I thought maybe it was resetting because the system was unstable, but it really shut down. Nothing turned on as I waited 1 min. I pressed the power button, reaccessed the BIOS, go back to defaults, then booted to the desktop without any issues. I was relieved that nothing went bad. I decided to Prime 95 the machine at default settings just to make sure everything is ok and everything went without a hitch.

99C is way too high. Your system shutdown due to the thermal protection
Good you didn't lose your chip, but better to recheck that your heatsink is sitting properly on the chip

What TIM are you using? And what kind of cooling in the case?

Back