Need help overclocking a CPU for a friend

I have never had the pleasure of overclocking something this old. I started with my 2500k, then 2600k, than 4790k, lastly 7700k. I told my friend I would do what I could, but I am having hard times getting it stable. I will get full specs when I return home so I can get board model number.

The processor in question is an e6400. Motherboard is a decent gigabyte board, and has 2 gigs of 1066 DDR2.

Every time I get anywhere above 2.3Ghz it crashes and resets itself to stock. Upon entering BIOS it gives me a warning the overclock failed and that it reverted back to stock. The best I have got was ram at stock speed and voltage, but the CPU to 8x multiplier and 280mhz base at 1.315v.

Any ideas on how to push this chip further. I did see some people were able to clock this thing pretty dam high for a dual core.

It only has options of 6 or 8 for the multiplier.

In my experience with newer CPU's they are unstable as shit when changing the BCLK. Often times cheap ram is the issue. You won't ever get as much out of the BCLK as you would from the multiplier. Sucks, but that's the deal.

In my experience with newer CPU's they are unstable as shit when changing the BCLK. Often times cheap ram is the issue. You won't ever get as much out of the BCLK as you would from the multiplier. Sucks, but that's the deal.

This is why I want help because the older stuff was way more finicky when it came to overclocking. I may look at helping them find a decent deal on something, but in the meantime I want to be able to get this chip pushed as far as I can and be stable.

This is why I want help because the older stuff was way more finicky when it came to overclocking. I may look at helping them find a decent deal on something, but in the meantime I want to be able to get this chip pushed as far as I can and be stable.

I won't be much help besides suggesting better memory at this point. Only other options cost money in the form of a board that offered more overclocking options.

I won't be much help besides suggesting better memory at this point. Only other options cost money in the form of a board that offered more overclocking options.

I've thought about seeing if somebody had a decent 775 board and some nicer ram.

I used an EVGA 780i sli board when I overclocked my Q6700. Multiplier goes all the way to 42 on that board, iirc. I had it up near the limits.

if you had a q6700 that allowed you to increase the multi, you actually had the qx6700. the x signifying an extreme edition cpu. all other c2qs were multi locked. op needs to take some screenies of bios options and the actual model og the board. you couldn't copy and paste oc setting back then like you can today.

if you had a q6700 that allowed you to increase the multi, you actually had the qx6700. the x signifying an extreme edition cpu. all other c2qs were multi locked. op needs to take some screenies of bios options and the actual model og the board. you couldn't copy and paste oc setting back then like you can today.

When I get home I will take some shots of the bios and get mobo info.

Here is the board they have.

the gigabyte p43 ud3 is a solid board. i built dozens of systems using it. it routinely oc'd the q6600 to 3.0ghz without significant voltage increases or exotic cooling. the e6400 has a base clock of 266mhz on an 8x multiplier. the board supports a fsb of up to 1600mhz. the fsb of your system is base clock x4 so

with the e6400 its running at roughly 1066mhz (266x4). ideally if all you're using is an aftermarket air cooler, we should aim at keeping the system fsb as close to its stated limit as possible (1600mhz). i think the fsb adjustment is under the advanced clock control setting. the speed of your memory is bound to the

system case clock, so when you were ocing the base clock the mem clock climbed simultaneously. when that happens, especially if you have memory that does not like to be ocd, then you must adjust the mem clock down. there should be an option on the ocing bios screen to do that. the first thing i always did

before ocing the a core 2 cpu is to set my memory voltage, timings and clock to its stated speed, reset then boot back into bios. i increase cpu vcore to 1.3v or a bit more and drop my mem clock one notch, reset and boot back into bios. now i can start increasing the base clock. you can probably get aggressive

early like setting base clock to 333mhz but you have to drop ram speed accordingly. ideally you will be able to reach a base clock of 400mhz for a total cpu clock of 3.2ghz while running your mem at 1066mhz and the fsb at 1600mhz.

the gigabyte p43 ud3 is a solid board. i built dozens of systems using it. it routinely oc'd the q6600 to 3.0ghz without significant voltage increases or exotic cooling. the e6400 has a base clock of 266mhz on an 8x multiplier. the board supports a fsb of up to 1600mhz. the fsb of your system is base clock x4 so

with the e6400 its running at roughly 1066mhz (266x4). ideally if all you're using is an aftermarket air cooler, we should aim at keeping the system fsb as close to its stated limit as possible (1600mhz). i think the fsb adjustment is under the advanced clock control setting. the speed of your memory is bound to the

system case clock, so when you were ocing the base clock the mem clock climbed simultaneously. when that happens, especially if you have memory that does not like to be ocd, then you must adjust the mem clock down. there should be an option on the ocing bios screen to do that. the first thing i always did

before ocing the a core 2 cpu is to set my memory voltage, timings and clock to its stated speed, reset then boot back into bios. i increase cpu vcore to 1.3v or a bit more and drop my mem clock one notch, reset and boot back into bios. now i can start increasing the base clock. you can probably get aggressive

early like setting base clock to 333mhz but you have to drop ram speed accordingly. ideally you will be able to reach a base clock of 400mhz for a total cpu clock of 3.2ghz while running your mem at 1066mhz and the fsb at 1600mhz.

I am going to give this a go this weekend. This is why I asked here as I knew I had to be doing something wrong. Thanks :)

Yep, lots of pros here that remember the 775 platform. (y)

Still, I question if doing this is worth the time since now a faster cpu replacement is more cost effective.

Back