Need help on upgrade choice for Eve Online

Sinker

Weaksauce
I am not sure if this is the correct section, if it is not I apologize and would like to ask a moderator to move it for me.

I am getting my tax return back soon and I am feeling the itch to upgrade something. The game I play most often is Eve Online and I was wondering if I would see a better performance gain from one 4gb gtx680 (MSIn680GTX Twin Frozr) or an I7 Ivy bridge CPU. This may seem like overkill but large fleet battles can take a toll on any system

I have tried to find out if eve is more cpu intensive or gpu intensive but the only info I could find about it online was a few years old and since then there have been many changes to the games engine. I was wondering if anyone on this site who plays eve has any advice for me. My budget will be around 550$.

Thanks for all of your help.

P.S. My setup is in my signature but I will paste it in here as well.

Case: LianLi (cant remember model number)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
Msata SSD: OCZ Strata Series mSATA 30GB
Video: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi)
HDD: Segate Barracuda 1TB
PS: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular Gaming 80Plus Bronze
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
CPU Heatsink: Corsair H60

Upgrade the GPU allllllll the way!

Ivy Bridge is NOT worth the upgrade from Sandy Bridge...just more heat for like 10% difference in performance. Do you have a 2500 vanilla or a 2500K? If it's a "K" then overclock that sombitch! That H60 and motherboard will be way more than sufficient to get an excellent stable overclock (4.5Ghz is incredibly easy to hit and a near guarantee)! Other than that even at stock speeds the 2500 is perfectly fine and more than capable.

A GTX 680 will be awesome though man...no more SLI bullshite and problems and profiles, more RAM, and less heat and power. Plus it'll be faster as well and also overclocks massively! :p

Hope this helps and be sure to check the FS/FT forums as well...might be able to get lucky and pick up two 670's for near that price OR better yet, get a 670 since it's only slightly slower yet cheaper and get a 2500K if you don't have one already.

Bah! Either way it goes a GPU upgrade is definitely the route to go...how or what you get while going along that route is up to you!

cool, thats kind of the way I have been leaning. Sadly I only have a plain old sandy 2500 but so far the 3.4ghz clock has seemed sufficient. after that I was seriously debating picking up a 2nd 27 inch monitor and saving the cpu for last. I might have to look at the 670's, havent looked at them that much yet. Time to go fine you tube reviews and benchmark data lol.

+1 for 670. Don't bother with the premium for the 680, it's really not worth it IMO. Bang for buck, you can't go wrong with a 670, especially if you can find a good deal on it.

Check Microcenter first, then shop around elsewhere.

IMO your CPU is fine, keep it for a while and upgrade when the next generation is out. Honestly no reason to blow any money in that direction for the time being.

Last edited:
So EVE is now so eye candy that it's hardware not connection that limits? (hmmm....temptation)

So EVE is now so eye candy that it's hardware not connection that limits? (hmmm....temptation)

Well your connection is still a major plus, or minus, for you but they have been redoing the graphics and now turrets and launchers all have their own animinations, as do missles.

It looks amazing, although when it comes to fleet fights the first thing I suggest is turning off all these bells and whistles since it will simply bog things down. a couple dozen launchers and missile animations with a few dozen turret ones is no big deal, but not think of a 500-600 ships in a fight with each ship having 4-8 turrents or launchers, now add in engine effects, shell/missile/ship explosions, ECM effects and warp disruptor bubbles and you can easily see how it could overwhelm even the most high end systems.

Thanks for the help guys, I have decided to go the 670 route, I am going to pick up 2 hopefully after that the second monitor will get purchased. and they have done a lot to make eve look great, hopefully with my 670 I can have effects+brackets on during those mid sized fights (80-100 people).

I don't mean to troll but have they made any significant changes to the gameplay and casual accessibility? Seems like I was paying a sub every month just to watch my toon learn a new skill. Made tons of money but after six months missions were basically on autopilot with my battleship. Absolutely laughable to have 30 NPC's ships shooting you and I could solo the whole place in 15 minutes.

Anyway I would love to try it again but only if the PVE gameplays was as good as the writers stories. The writers are phenomenal in that game. I've read most of the stories will waiting for my mining ships to fill up. :)

I don't mean to troll but have they made any significant changes to the gameplay and casual accessibility? Seems like I was paying a sub every month just to watch my toon learn a new skill. Made tons of money but after six months missions were basically on autopilot with my battleship. Absolutely laughable to have 30 NPC's ships shooting you and I could solo the whole place in 15 minutes.

Anyway I would love to try it again but only if the PVE gameplays was as good as the writers stories. The writers are phenomenal in that game. I've read most of the stories will waiting for my mining ships to fill up. :)

Nope.

I actually just resubbed and shortly recalled why I let my sub lapse. If you're not doing PVP or something other than missions you're wasting your time. I am ATM trying to get my standing up with the NPC corp I'm based at so I can jump clone with them and then join the militia. I don't really want my billion isk (or however much) in plug ins to get blown up in my first pvp encounter back lol

But I'm like you. I have 2 Lokis and the PVE one just goes into a room turns all its shield hardeners on and orbit @ 2000 boom, orbit @ 2000 boom, orbit @ 2000 boom, orbit @ 2000 boom, and so on... Its fine to make 10mil every mission but ugh...whats the point. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE love LOVE Eve. It was my first MMO and I played it in the open beta and for about a year after its release. Last time I subbed I had 3 accounts going at once doing lots of different stuff. But yeah, PVP or nothing it seems

They have added a few options for pvp, the wormholes and incursions use better AI and pretty much require groups to run but they pay out very well, with the retribution expansion that just came out they have improved the regular NPC Ai as well. I cannot say how much it has improved though as I have not had any time to play since the expansion came out

I understand that it would really hurt their eve player base but it would bring in a lot more. I'm sure that a lot of PS2 players have never heard of Eve and would be on board if they could call orbital strikes over Vent, or even call them in with their own Eve accounts.

When I played EVE Online, I ran 3 clients at max setting in full screen/windowed mode and got 60+ fps. This was on my current i5 760 and ATI 5850, not the fastest setup by any means.

most MMO's are more cpu intensive...especially one from 2003. there are some cases of bad coding/poor optimizing where a game from 2003 can bring a top of the line gaming pc to its knees.

No shit i was so mad when they announced it for ps3 only. way to shaft ALL of your fan base ccp........

It probably wouldn't work for both... You'd either need console and PC players together (which wouldn't work, unless you lets the PS3 players use kb/m, but then a bunch of people who didn't would bitch and moan) or need separate PS3 and PC planets. It seems like a way to port EVE to the PS3 in a way which would work.

Back