Need help on a build for my folks!

Zefram0911

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to build a computer for my folks. The computer will be used for normal activities but also needs to be hooked up to a tv with HDMI.

Could you suggest a complete list of low cost parts for something like this? Thank you in advance. I'll continue to field questions if it helps to answer this better.

Try looking at some of the 780G based builds people have posted here. Thats a good start.

+1 for amd/ati 780g chipset build with an inexpensive x2,2gb of ram any sata hdd, and get them an external hdd with onetouch backup.... when building for family always have a backup device.....

checkout monoprice for cables

My recent build strictly for HT purposes.

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD780G
AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 4850e
2 GB RAM
640 GB Samsung HDD
Tacens Theca case

Could you suggest a complete list of low cost parts for something like this? Thank you in advance. I'll continue to field questions if it helps to answer this better.

Please answer these questions so that we can help you better:
[Build Questions]
If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

By answering these questions you help us help you build a better quality/preforming/cheaper PC.

My recent build strictly for HT purposes.

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD780G
AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 4850e
2 GB RAM
640 GB Samsung HDD
Tacens Theca case

I know that the 780g can do hardware accelerated decoding of H264 and vc-1, but I always like to plan for the worst case. Like the processor being able to decode the video by itself. So can this combo do that?

I know that the 780g can do hardware accelerated decoding of H264 and vc-1, but I always like to plan for the worst case. Like the processor being able to decode the video by itself. So can this combo do that?

Pretty much.

Back