Need help nailing the cause of frequent crashes

Jellylesg

2[H]4U
My computer's been acting up for a while now, about 8+ months but I've been suffering through it, putting it down to the OS or me being a moron or whatever. However, since it's persisted over a variety of OS installations and I've opened it up and checked everything I can I'm stumped and need a hand.

The problem is basically this: the display will often cut out. It can be when playing a game, browsing the internet or dropping my headphones on the case from a height of greater than an inch. Any sounds playing will continue as normal (but if I am talking on Ventrilo I'm told I don't continue transmitting), but I get "No Input" on my monitor and have to restart. I'm sure it's not the display at fault since I've tried with a couple and it happens regardless.

What I'm not sure about is which component it might be, exactly. My GPU always shows a normal heat and rarely goes above 80 celcius. My CPU has the best aftermarket HSF on that was out at the time and I've re-seated it a few times even though it's not likely to be the cause. I've done everything I can think of including re-seating and reconnecting everything, since it happens when the case is moved or I knock my knee against my desk. My PSU also seems adequate.

Specs will be below. I was really just looking for any insight since nothing has ever been overclocked and it's always had the fans dialled up to their highest when I play games to ensure it's well-cooled. Besides the crashes performance has been deteriorating noticeably over the last few months and I'm unable to play many games at the settings I was initially able to. I did have a problem with by first 8800 overheating but it was replaced and worked like a star since.

Q6600, stock
4GB OCZ Gold PC6400, 5-5-5-18 timings
BFG GTX280
ASUS P5N-32E SLi Plus
Thermaltake Infiniti 720w
Samsung HD501LJ or whatever it is
Vista/7 x64, sitting in a well-organised P182 with good airflow and frequent dust cleanings

Any help would be fantastic

Last edited:
Is that an Enermax Infiniti PSU? Just curious, as I've never heard of a Thermaltake Infiniti. To your problem, tho, might I ask how long ago this PC was purchased/assembled? Maybe it would help give a clue to some of the better troubleshooters as to what might be the trouble. Are you able to try another video card, to see if the results are the same? Do you think there's any chance the 8800 is simply giving up the ghost?

Also, I'm not positive, but you might be asked to walk through the stickied Troubleshooting thread before anyone ventures any guesses as to what might be wrong. I hope things clear up for you!

Is that an Enermax Infiniti PSU? Just curious, as I've never heard of a Thermaltake Infiniti. To your problem, tho, might I ask how long ago this PC was purchased/assembled? Maybe it would help give a clue to some of the better troubleshooters as to what might be the trouble. Are you able to try another video card, to see if the results are the same? Do you think there's any chance the 8800 is simply giving up the ghost?

Also, I'm not positive, but you might be asked to walk through the stickied Troubleshooting thread before anyone ventures any guesses as to what might be wrong. I hope things clear up for you!

Sorry, yes, Enermax. Bit sleep deprived.

I'm afraid it's not possible to get any other components put in there which is why I was asking for ideas. I have a friend who has a very similar build, however, all the same core components and he's not encountering any issues like this. Both systems are the same age, built around when G92 was new, so a year and half? Two? i don't recall exactly.

I have taken my time with this machine before posting this, from running Memtest to sweating the GPU/CPU out with ATITool and 3Dmark and whatever else. I've done everything I can think of, so if - as it seems - something's on the way out I'd like to be able to identify which element it is that needs replacing, as I don't have the cash to consider more than one part at this point. I've been very happy with the computer and it's run everything beautifully, it's just the random crashes and sudden drop in framerate that's the issue.

since you can cause the problem by just bumping the pc, check very carefully that the monitor is correctly plugged into the gpu. I have a case that the connection seems tight but it does not correctly connect if I am not very careful. It sounds like some type of lose cable or short somewhere in the case if the monitor is plugged in correctly.

I call on a faulty PCI-E slot, since bumping the case causes the video to go out... though it is very possible that the GPU is reaching the end of life here (this year seems popular since I keep seeing more and more 8800 death related threads on various forums).

since you can cause the problem by just bumping the pc, check very carefully that the monitor is correctly plugged into the gpu. I have a case that the connection seems tight but it does not correctly connect if I am not very careful. It sounds like some type of lose cable or short somewhere in the case if the monitor is plugged in correctly.

Yeah, I have taken the card out and ensured that all the fittings are tight and secure as much as I can without taking it apart completely and voiding the warranty. The socketed screws that the DVI cable screws into have actually come out in the past but I've been sure to carefully re-fit and tighten them.

I was thinking about the PCI-E slot being dodgy as well, but without any spare components to test with I guess I'm going to have to find a way to get BFG to RMA/test my card. Still unsure as to the cause of the hang-ups, though - not sure if I made it clear but it also has been locking up for 5-10 second periods every so often, similar to a RAM or HDD read/write issue, yet neither Memtest or the samsung tool show any issues.

Thanks for the help so far. Sorry to keep going on in circles, but I'm trying to figure it out with the limited resources (i.e. no spare money or components) I have.

Let us know what happens. You don't have another computer with PCIE slot to test the gpu out?

Unfortunately not, hence the irritating thread. I've done everything I can think of with what I have available to me, and since I've had to sell everything but my computer I'm kind of hoping to keep it working. I'll just have to put up with it some more until I can afford to get things RMAd.

Thanks for the advice and help all the same, guys.

I have taken my time with this machine before posting this, from running Memtest to sweating the GPU/CPU out with ATITool and 3Dmark and whatever else. I've done everything I can think of, so if - as it seems - something's on the way out I'd like to be able to identify which element it is that needs replacing, as I don't have the cash to consider more than one part at this point. I've been very happy with the computer and it's run everything beautifully, it's just the random crashes and sudden drop in framerate that's the issue.

But again, just the stickied Basic Troubleshooting Guide anyway just in case you forgot to test something. No offense but everyone always says the same thing you do: "Oh I tested it already". It always ends up that they miss one or several tests.

Anyway, my bet is on the motherbroard: That particular line wasn't that stable to begin with.

Sure, I'm running everything but memtest again, since I managed to lose the disc.

Sounds like something isnt grounded, now its gone to shortening out. Im gonna shoot for either your GPU or your MOBO

Back