NEED HELP! Leak ruined brand new X800PRO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Alright guys, this will be quick b/c we're getting ready to leave for two days but it'd be nice to have some suggestions when I get back.

Basically, I put a brand new X800PRO in my system that been running with water for the last few days. Well, when I put the new card in I must have hit a hose wrong without noticing. Basically, the system powered on but was very sluggish, I look over and see my Thermaltake Coolant dripping down from the CPU block onto the video card. The system froze before I could even reach the power button! I had coolant on the vid card and in the PCIe slot too.

So now I've got it running with an extremely old PCI card because it won't boot with the X800PRO. It happened maybe two hours ago so I'm hoping there's just so fluid that has yet to dry. But I have noticed on the "ATI Rage Theater" chip that has tons of metal wires coming out of the side and down into the board, that some of those metal wires are blackened and some have some crusty stuff on them. It almost looks like dried up battery acid. That crap is on some of the surrounding stuff as well.

Is there a safe way to clean this? Am I screwed? I could try returning it to newegg but I really don't want to wait even longer! Anybody have any solutions? I'm just hoping for now that it'll be completely dried when I get back (fingers crossed).

When you have a leak, you must be patient. Im suprised you even turned your computer on after taking the card out, as a result of that you might have caused a short. Lets just hope its all okay and needs to dry.

I think I recall reading an article where they used a q-tip and rubbing alcolhol to clean the board of that gunk

awdark said:
I think I recall reading an article where they used a q-tip and rubbing alcolhol to clean the board of that gunk

That's exactly what I was thinking of using, but I wanted to get some input first. About turning it back on: Yeah, I'm an idiot. I was pretty sure I had it all dry. This is my first WC setup so I'm catching myself doing some pretty stupid things.

Let it all dry for at least a day or 2. When you get back, get yourself some isopropyl alcohol (90% or better) and use some Q tips or whatever to clean any leftover residue/additives from the coolant that may still be on there. clean the card, mobo, and anything else the coolant touched. Then, take your chances =\

Thanks guys, I'm back. No luck either. I used the alcohol yesterday morning, and it's had a day and a half to dry and it's still not booting. Looks like it's RMA time. Thanks for your help everyone.

You can plainly see the boy doesn't have good sense,who in their right mind would power on a system that had water leak that day. So his lack of integrity should no surprise. :rolleyes:

Get a friggin life people. The mfg will refurb it and sell it again. Considering the amount they make on each card, I really doubt they'll lose sleep over this. If my conscience could help me make up the extra $200 to replace it, then I'd probably listen to it. So screw off - and don't post in a "NEED HELP" thread unless you've got something helpful to say.

Dew itt right said:
Thanks guys, I'm back. No luck either. I used the alcohol yesterday morning, and it's had a day and a half to dry and it's still not booting. Looks like it's RMA time. Thanks for your help everyone.

Ive said it before and ill say it again. People who break their shit then RMA it shoul dbe castrated with a wooden spoon.
Its not the manufacturers problem you didnt pay attention when installing a card and ended up leaking water on the card. NO ONES warranty will cover that kind of damage due to the owners error.
and yes Ive broken plenty of things and bought a new one every damn time.

And just for the record, I've placed more than 30 orders to this company just over the last year and spent more than $2,900 and I've never RMA'd anything! I'll continue to shop there wether they do RMA this or not! So mind your own business in the future.

Dew itt right said:
Get a friggin life people. The mfg will refurb it and sell it again. Considering the amount they make on each card, I really doubt they'll lose sleep over this. If my conscience could help me make up the extra $200 to replace it, then I'd probably listen to it. So screw off - and don't post in a "NEED HELP" thread unless you've got something helpful to say.
mmm you know how to make enemys rather quick don't you?

Great logic ! From someone with such high moral integrity. If you knew anything about business you would know those cost are passed on to the rest of us in higher prices. I hope your post made you feel better ,but the rest of us still know what you are.

Dew itt right said:
qft

my god people. lol.

you actually think these companies have to pay to fix this stuff? all it is, is a tax write off. dont worry about what these people say and clean it up really good, stick the original heatsink back on, and rma it.

Visable-assassin said:
yup...if you like paying for higher priced hardware.
suck it up you broke it..its not their fault dont make them eat the bill for it.
What is your point? If I break my hardware by accident (I never break it on purpose of course), I WILL RMA it. I don't care if 1000x10 people online tell me "oh My God.....DON'T YOU ARE RAISING THE PRICES " I don't see the point of arguing because I will do what i wnat ;)

and what statistics do you have to even show how much RMAs raise the price of products :confused:

Well .. there have been people that were lucky enough to get their cards fixed after a leak accident and I guess some that haven't.

You said the leak was all over you video card ... did you check the pci-e or agp slot ... maybe some of the water got there. If anything went wrong, I would hold Tt responsible since the water is not supposed to conduct.

Another thing you might wanna check is boot up with the pci card and re-flash the bios on the video card ... sometimes you lose the bios when things go wrong.

As for those that have nothing to say but try to "bring down" video card prices, go somewhere else and bitch, this is not the place for it. How about you pay $5 and bitch about it in the "Soap Box" in the General Mayhem section of this forum.

High video card prices are a result of production cost and R&D mostly. RMA has little to do with it.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet unless your card really burned. Maybe you could post a pic of what you think went wrong? It could be that your motherboard blew a cap or something and that got on the video card and your AGP/PCI-e socket just got messed up? Definitely try to post some pics of the area and study it a little more and we might be able to help some more. Remove everything on the card, give it another good check. Do the same for the motherboard I would say.

If that doesn't help you out, there are a couple things you could look at. The coolant isn't the problem. Thermaltake does not advertise it as "non-conductive." On their web site and on the bottle it doesn't say this. As a substitute or when you run out they recommend using a mix of anti-freeze and distilled water, which would still be a little conductive. Beyond that, I don't think you can really blame the video card manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer because liquid was spilled on them.

If I were you I would probably end up RMA-ing it since I would be out of cash and need the card. From an outside view you need to realize that this product did not break because of a manufacturing defect, it broke because of operating error. Liquid cooling carries these risks and when you decided to install a liquid system in your computer you decided to take these risks. Go ahead and RMA it, I'm not going to tell you what's morally right or wrong because you have to decide that. They will probably send you a new card since burn marks could come from bad electronics on the card, but in the future be more careful and when you make a mistake don't rely on others to take the blame.

Just got back home and there are way to many of you to qoute...

1) Sorry, but I can't take pics. My digicam sucks. Maybe I could RMA it too! :D (Just joking to all the friggin whiners here)

2) The RMA is already processed, the old card is already boxed up ready to ship, and the new card is already on the way.

3) Nobody's arguing about morals here, I know it's not the mfg's fault. I'm the arse that screwed up but money's on the tight side so I'll take my chances on RMA-ing

4) The liquid wasn't all over the card, just in one tiny spot and the burnt or crusty spots were only on the pins on one corner of the Rage Theater chip. If they send it back to me - fine, I deserve it. I know it was my fault. They're not idiots, they can look at the card and make up their own mind about wether or not to accept it.

5) Sorry, but nobodies touching my nuts with a wooden spoon

6) My bad, Tt doesn't say it's non-conductive. I must have been mistaken

7) LOWBOY, get an education and get lost

So you can afford to watercool your system, but cannot afford to replace your gfx card and resort to stealing.

You can look at it anyway you want to but RMAing something you screwed up is just plain wrong and it adds the cost of hardware that I buy.

$BangforThe$ said:
...it adds the cost of hardware that I buy.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

What are you people waiting for? An apology or something? I said all I need to say in my last post.

My problem has been solved and this thread is no longer necessary. Ya'll can criticize me or laugh at some of the whining retards that have replied, but I'm done here!

Be careful up on those high horses.

Peace!

Do itt wrong; I thought your posts were from a young kid that knew no better, but after reviewing your information you are old enough to know better. It was surprising to see a fellow M.E. posting as you have.I suppose you missed your ethics classes or they may not have them anymore. I'm sure the A.S.M.E. will be proud to have you as a member as you have shown that you word can counted on. Sure would hate to take your word on any project. You have a good life as your career will be short lived with the ethics you have. ;)

LOWBOY said:
Do itt wrong; I thought your posts were from a young kid that knew no better, but after reviewing your information you are old enough to know better. It was surprising to see a fellow M.E. posting as you have.I suppose you missed your ethics classes or they may not have them anymore. I'm sure the A.S.M.E. will be proud to have you as a member as you have shown that you word can counted on. Sure would hate to take your word on any project. You have a good life as your career will be short lived with the ethics you have. ;)
You are so full of BS..
And all your words are not going to stop me nor anybody else so "get Lost"

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
You are so full of BS..
And all your words are not going to stop me nor anybody else so "get Lost"
Kinda funny how little twits grow balls on the net. Do you feel like a real man now. And yes I do know that no matter what I say there will be people like you,just glad there's not more of you.Be happy. :D

Dew itt right said:
Considering the amount they make on each card, I really doubt they'll lose sleep over this.
The same tired old excuse used by every thief since the dawn of time. "they had more than I, so I had a right to steal".

don't post in a "NEED HELP" thread unless you've got something helpful to say.
Don't post in a "need help" thread about your plans to cheat and defraud others, eh?

mohammedtaha said:
High video card prices are a result of production cost and R&D mostly. RMA has little to do with it.
I got a good chuckle out of this one. Production costs are indeed a major factor. Now, think hard...where do you think replacement cards for an RMA come from? They have to be *produced*.

If you can't connect the dots from here, then I suggest you trade in your computer for a loincloth and a stone axe...modern life is going to be too difficult for you.

masher said:
I got a good chuckle out of this one. Production costs are indeed a major factor. Now, think hard...where do you think replacement cards for an RMA come from? They have to be *produced*.

If you can't connect the dots from here, then I suggest you trade in your computer for a loincloth and a stone axe...modern life is going to be too difficult for you.

Too bad it's true, it literally costs these companies pennies on the dollar to make these cards, the R&D is what really costs the most by far.

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Too bad it's true, it literally costs these companies pennies on the dollar to make these cards, the R&D is what really costs the most by far.
and it costs $$$ to build the fabrication plants.

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Ahem, duh... I'd think that R&D would be a part of that process.
True......I just considered R&D as designing new chips/PCBs but when considering that they switch manufacturing processes to like 90nm and have to change the machinery at their plants...it would be included in the R&D

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
It's amazing a supposedly well-educated person can make such a claim. Graphics card manufacturers have almost NO R&D cost. They buy the GPU and other components, slap them on a (sometimes slightly modified) reference board design, package them up, and shoot them out the door. Profit margin is low, especially on the low-to-mid range cards. Which explains why there isn't a huge amount of price difference between them, no matter which manufacturer you choose.

Face the facts. Claiming these cards cost only "pennies to make" is just an excuse to justify stealing. If you want to be a thief, at least be a brave one. Don't hide behind rationalizations and justifications.

This topic is begging for a lock. Or at least a move....

But anyway, there's no point in arguing. Isn't it up to the manufacturer to decide whether to accept the card under warranty? If they decide it's not their fault, they simply won't accept it.

Perhaps some are placing too much blame on the person RMAing and not enough on the manufacturer for accepting it. If one were to leave their car with its keys outside in a bad neighborhood and find it stolen the next day? Is the thief the only one responsible?

So those blaming the person RMAing are really wasting their time. If you want to do something about it, find better ways for manufacturers to detect a voided warranty. Many of you are engineers (or soon to be ones).

You don't prevent crime by telling others no to do it. You prevent it by making others NOT ABLE to do it.

It also seems people who would'ev been a bit more help to the OP were absent from this forum :rolleyes:

Did anyone mention using a hair dryer on the card for a bit?

CoW]8(0) said:
Isn't it up to the manufacturer to decide whether to accept the card under warranty? ...Perhaps some are placing too much blame on the person RMAing and not enough on the manufacturer.
The thief will have a new card and/or their money back longer before the manufacturer even sees the card-- it goes back to the retailer first. When they finally DO get the card, what choice do they have? Even if they're sure a crime has been committed, can they successfully prosecute? Very rarely.

Companies don't exist to force people to obey laws and ethical standards. And blaming theft on the victim for "allowing" it is a rather sick philosophy. Do you also blame rape victims for encouraging their attackers?

You don't prevent crime by telling others no to do it.
You most certainly do. And the surest way to _encourage_ petty crime is to tell people there's nothing wrong with engaging in it.

So basically you're just telling me exactly how flawed the RMA procedure is.

And let me know when you see more people going out saying 'dont steal, it's wrong' versus people locking doors.

So basically, I see that your home has all the windows and doors unlocked and next it a little post it that says 'don't break in, its not the right thing to do'.

Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back