Need Help Installing Windows XP Home! [urgent]

Fyberwire

n00b
Hey guys, I got a problem and I thought you could help. Basically, I just built my new computer, but I can't install windows XP.

Basically, when I put the CD in, nothing happens. Now this might be because of the CD rom itself, which was taken from the Sony VAIO i had before this computer.

I'll post the model # in a second. My question is, whats the real problem, and how can I solve it?

Thanks in advance.

It's an ASUS CD-S400 or somthing like that (unsure about dash).

Anyway, I'm about to look on Asus's site for drivers, but remember, I dont have windows, so I simply cant just install them.

my search turned up nothing....

The BIOS still recognizes it as the ASUS drive that it is, but it wont read the CD. I've switched it's channel to primary, set it to master with the jumpers and the cable, I've done about everything.

Help!

Two questions: Have you changed the CD drive to boot before it boots the hard drive? And, is the disc an actual windows full version install disc, and not some kind of restore disc?

I changed it to boot before it loads the hard drive, and I'm positive it's the real XP install disc.

Here's my config if thats helpful...

Abit IC7-Max3
Seagate U series OEM 5400RPM 80GB HDD w/Secure IDE
Pentium 4 2.4B
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I'm not sure what else to do. Please help.

When the system starts up does it give you a prompt to boot from CD?

- If is does, be sure to follow the instructions given, normally "press any key to boot from CD".

- If not, go into the bios and remove all the hard disks from the boot list (may not be possible depending on bios). With only the CDROM in the boot list, are you able to boot from the CD?

- - If so, go back and add the HD to the boot list and try installing again...

- - If not, try disconnecting the hard drives, and try with the CDROM set as master\slave\cable-select on the primary and secondary channels. Any signs of life?

- - - If not, maybe the CDROM is some old version which can't be booted from...

Unless you made a special order when you got your Vaio, what you have is a restore disc. When you try to boot a restore CD is checks the BIOS to verify that the drivers on the CD match the system configuration. If the answer is no, and it is with your Asus motherboard, all you'll get is a black screen.

You're also trying to break Microsoft's EULA even if you have a stand-alone copy of the OS from Sony. The copy of XP Home on your Vaio is only licensed for the Sony. The EULA for the OEM edition of XP says the license is "wed" to the motherboard. You can change a hard drive or a peripheral card and reinstall the OS if necessisary. But if you change the motherboard the EULA considers that a new computer and you have to buy a new copy of XP to stay legal. (The retail version can be transferred to a new machine but can only be installed on one computer at any time.)

I mention all this because what you're trying to do technically falls under warez. It's against the forum rules to talk about how to get around a EULA, so don't be offended or surprised if you come back and this thread is closed.

BHD

I'm assuming it's a real version of XP (as indicated by Fyberwire), rather than a restore disk. So far, there's been no reason to think otherwise.

You make a goot point though, if it's a restore disk, it likely won't be possible to install.

The copy is real. My previous problem was that the XP Home disc was an upgrade disc (it was dark, i couldnt see the text). Anyway, now i got an xp pro disc, but i'm still having the same problem with it. It does that checking thing (i think it's right before it would load windows), and nothing happens. I'm going to try disabling the second, third devices etc., and then i'll try switching it. Thanks for all the help.

Originally posted by Fyberwire
The copy is real. My previous problem was that the XP Home disc was an upgrade disc (it was dark, i couldnt see the text). Anyway, now i got an xp pro disc, but i'm still having the same problem with it. It does that checking thing (i think it's right before it would load windows), and nothing happens. I'm going to try disabling the second, third devices etc., and then i'll try switching it. Thanks for all the help.

Even an upgrade disk should be bootable (IIRC). That said, if you try a couple more of the possible configurations and still can't get the startup option to boot from CD, you might look for a CDROM drive to borrow from a friend or something. Since the motherboard isn't old I'd find it unlikely that it's the issue (unless there's some bios setting that you need to toggle). Assuming you have good cable (have you tried another?), and that you try booting when the cd drive is the only IDE device, that leaves the drive. It's always possible it could be come strange issue with memory, the IDE controller, or the PSU, but given that the cd drive came from and older system, you should try another one if possible.

Gah:mad:

I just fried my hard drive. Turns out SecureIDE was messing with my CD-ROM, so i got rid of that, got it to boot from CD, and it didnt detect a HDD. I smelt burning 2 reboots before, so i'm going to buy one tomorrow.

Off to the hot deals thread :D

Back