Need help in repairing 4 dead GPUs

Hello good people of Hardforum!

As the title says, I need some assistance in repairing my 4 "dead" gpus.

Lets start with 2 cards that I believe are "hard bricked":

1. First GPU is an EVGA 1070ti - Worked like a charm until my friend messed the GPU up. Unfortunately, he does not want to admit it and tell me exactly what he did to the card (which would obviously help in finding a potential solution).Short description: the card does not light up, no fans spinning, is not of course recognized by the PC in device manager at all (no surprise there).
  2. Second GPU is Sapphire rx580 8gb Nitro+ which basically shows all the same signs as the above mentioned 1070ti. No lights, no fans spinning, not recognized by the device manager at all. This card has been dead for a long time, ever since my friend flashed BIOS on our Sapphire cards. I presume the card was not broken out of box but was messed up in the process. Dual bios option does not help as switching the card to the other BIOS makes no difference.

Moving on to 2 "soft bricks":

1. Gigabyte 1070ti - cards is showing normally in device manager on boot up, but when the miner starts, the card is not there and the miner acts like this card does not exist. Upon restart, the situation changes a bit as the device manager says standard error 43 (had an error 31 once) and flags the GPU with a yellow exclamation mark.
  2. Sapphire rx580 8gb Nitro+ - basically the same thing as 1070ti but I even managed to get this card working for a short period of time and then it started with the errors (43, exclamation mark in device manager). After few attempts to fix this by disable/enable and reinstalling drivers, the card did not show in device manager anymore. switching the card to the other BIOS makes no difference unfortunately.

Thanks for your time and hope you will be able to help.

You can try selling on ebay for parts/repair. I've managed to make some money with broken gear there.

Sell them on Ebay. You will be surprised at how much they go for. It is not difficult to repair but few places in the U.S. do. Often times they are shipped off to China for repair.

Im not an expert but I sometimes watch repair videos for fun on Youtube. The ones that don't turn on are usually due to some component going bad causing a short which then causes other components to overheat and fail. The repair is to identify the bad components with a multimeter and replace. The ones that get error 43 usually mean reflow needed, GPU or VRAM damaged. They usually check VRAM with an app, if single channel is bad replace the memory chip. If multiple channels are bad reflow the GPU.

Last edited:
¡Hola buena gente de Hardforum!

Como dice el título, necesito ayuda para reparar mis 4 gpus "muertas".

Comencemos con 2 cartas que creo que están "bloqueadas":

1. La primera GPU es una EVGA 1070ti: funcionó a las mil maravillas hasta que mi amigo estropeó la GPU. Desafortunadamente, no quiere admitirlo y decirme exactamente lo que le hizo a la tarjeta (lo que obviamente ayudaría a encontrar una posible solución) Breve descripción: la tarjeta no se enciende, no hay ventiladores girando, por supuesto no se reconoce por la PC en el administrador de dispositivos (no es de extrañar).
  2. La segunda GPU es Sapphire rx580 8gb Nitro +, que básicamente muestra los mismos signos que el 1070ti mencionado anteriormente. Sin luces, sin ventiladores girando, no reconocidos por el administrador de dispositivos en absoluto. Esta tarjeta ha estado muerta durante mucho tiempo, desde que mi amigo actualizó la BIOS en nuestras tarjetas Sapphire. Supongo que la tarjeta no se rompió de la caja, sino que se estropeó en el proceso. La opción de BIOS dual no ayuda, ya que cambiar la tarjeta al otro BIOS no hace ninguna diferencia.

Pasando a 2 "ladrillos blandos":

1. Gigabyte 1070ti: las tarjetas se muestran normalmente en el administrador de dispositivos al arrancar, pero cuando el minero se inicia, la tarjeta no está allí y el minero actúa como si esta tarjeta no existiera. Al reiniciar, la situación cambia un poco cuando el administrador de dispositivos dice el error estándar 43 (tuvo un error 31 una vez) y marca la GPU con un signo de exclamación amarillo.
  2. Sapphire rx580 8gb Nitro +: básicamente lo mismo que 1070ti, pero incluso logré que esta tarjeta funcionara durante un corto período de tiempo y luego comenzó con los errores (43, signo de exclamación en el administrador de dispositivos). Después de algunos intentos de solucionar esto deshabilitando / habilitando y reinstalando los controladores, la tarjeta ya no se mostraba en el administrador de dispositivos. Desafortunadamente, cambiar la tarjeta al otro BIOS no hace ninguna diferencia.

H friend

Hello good people of Hardforum!

As the title says, I need some assistance in repairing my 4 "dead" gpus.

Lets start with 2 cards that I believe are "hard bricked":

1. First GPU is an EVGA 1070ti - Worked like a charm until my friend messed the GPU up. Unfortunately, he does not want to admit it and tell me exactly what he did to the card (which would obviously help in finding a potential solution).

First, you need to find a better "friend", second just pop them in an over @ 400F for a while (no, don't do it). Seemed to work like a charm for most cards way back when :barefoot:

Back