Need help identifying this symbol on Android.

My Samsung Galaxy X phone performed an update on itself the nights ago. After the phone rebooted, I checked it and found a symbol in my task bar at the top that I can not identify. I have done a search, but I have not found a match for this symbol. It is in the notification portion beside my Bluetooth symbol. I do not have a good camera, so I had to sketch out a drawing of it. Can someone please tell me what this is. Thank you in advance.

androidsymbol.jpg

It looks a lot like the "GPS active" icon. It means that the phone is actively paying attention to where it is, so apps that use this info can pull from it.

Here is the screen shot. I think you are right about it being related to GPS. I turn the GPS on and the symbol turns into a satellite which means that the GPS is trying to connect. When I turn off the GPS this symbol comes back. What does this symbol mean, and if it is related to GPS is there a way I can force it closed.

snap20110223153604.png

Geolocation probably. It doesn't have to be GPS for that to be used since it can also locate you using the cell towers or wifi.

I appreciate the info. I would have not thought much about it if it had been there the whole time. It had my curiosity peaked since it just appeared due to Verizon rolling out an update on my phone.

I appreciate the info. I would have not thought much about it if it had been there the whole time. It had my curiosity peaked since it just appeared due to Verizon rolling out an update on my phone.

Is your Phone 4G compatible? It could be essentially a "looking for network" symbol hoping to find a 4G network (or just updating it's list of avalible towers/networks, my old phone acctually would rutinely show 2 circling arrows (like a "refresh" symbol) when it pinged nearby towers (and when it was first turned on)

Another option is it's checking for updates to either firmware, Radio, or PRL (since app updates use a different symbol)

Otherwise I'm going to go with the "non-GPS location information"

Is your Phone 4G compatible? It could be essentially a "looking for network" symbol hoping to find a 4G network (or just updating it's list of avalible towers/networks, my old phone acctually would rutinely show 2 circling arrows (like a "refresh" symbol) when it pinged nearby towers (and when it was first turned on)

The two circling arrows/refresh symbol actually means that your phone is syncing, it has nothing to do with cell towers or the network (you'll get it if you are on wifi, too). It means something like gmail or contacts or market or whatever is syncing your phone with the cloud. It usually only shows up when you first setup the device or if you re-enter network coverage after a period of being out of network (as in, the device lost data connection for long enough that it needs to do a sync)

Back