Need help identifying some type of USB device

Swede88

Lurker
Hi

First off, I think this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, my apologies.

To make this short, my brother saw a device that plugs into a USB port that monitors computer activity. Now where he saw it, I'm not exactly sure.

He is trying to identify this device because he wants to monitor what his kids are looking at and doing on the computer. He states that every time he walks into the room they close down Internet Explorer and all the browsing history, cookies, etc... are erased.

I'm not sure what the device he is talking about is called, but if you have any other suggestions on hardware or software that can be useful please let me know.

Thanks

Suggestions from personal experience and the comments of others on this forum:

1) Take away the computer. If the kids are attempting to hide their activities then they lose the privilege of the computer.

2) Put the computer in a more public place. There is no reason for a kid/child to have a computer in their room. Being aware that all Mom or Dad has to do is turn around to see the screen can make a great different in online actions.

3) If you have some type of router in place check the manual online, most can save a log file of all the sites visited. It can be a pain to sort through it but will provide a list of websites (but not chat logs).

4) Install a proxy, this can either be software on the computer or a separate machine. The separate device has the advantage of being harder to disable than the one on the system the kids are using.

A USB device for monitoring sounds more like a keylogger.

yep, there is also software that let you spy on your kids too ! :D
and they won´t even know it´s there !!

Back