Need help, Hyper-V server disks failing, unable to export.

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm a dumbass and I never setup a mirror and backup when we moved house a couple years back. Fast-forward to now and I have 2 SSDs failing.

The OS disk started packing it in so I rescued the VHDs to another disk and the server limped along. I bought a couple of disks for a mirror and then went to export the VMs ready to re-install windows (moving from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2) only the disk I used to rescue the VHDs is also now failing so the export failed.

The disks are semi-failing so I can actually still access the files. I'm copying the VHDs over USB 2.0 which should work, and I can access the config files on the OS disk, but I'm wondering if I need the config files or if I should just create a new VM, attach the VHD and boot it up. Is this going to cause any issues? The VMs are running server 2012 R2.

I answered my own question. Server 2012 R2 doesn't give two shits and just worked. I have one more server to move over and it is running a much older OS for legacy apps. Can't wait to see how that one reacts.

Yeah, no need for the config, you can just create a new VM then attach the vhd.
I'm doing almost the same thing with ~80 production vms....shut down 2008r2 VM, replace the vhd with a 2016 , fire up, rename, join the domain

Been in similar situations the only problems I ran into was virtual switches attached to physical nics getting all retarded till re-doing them all.

I answered my own question. Server 2012 R2 doesn't give two shits and just worked. I have one more server to move over and it is running a much older OS for legacy apps. Can't wait to see how that one reacts.
Curious on which "much older OS for legacy apps" and if it worked on 2012R2 easily as well with no issues.

Curious on which "much older OS for legacy apps" and if it worked on 2012R2 easily as well with no issues.
It is running server 2008 R2. No issues with that one either.
Hyper-v reported all the VHDs as corrupt but I haven't encountered any issues after copying them to new media so IDK.

Back