Need help: got "User Name or password is incorrect" on a simple network setup

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am rather "green" when it comes to setup user on a simple network, so I am thinking I must be missing something basic for this problem. So this morning, this is what happens:

There is a small network of 10 people. 1 of the PC is somewhat old, but another PC is much better in quality , much newer and the person who uses it has just retired, so the goal is to switch the user on the old PC to the newer PC.

let's called the "old PC" network user login ID : Susan and say the network name is called "FURNITURE"
Let's say the "newer PC" network user login ID: David and same network name of course.

So at the beginning, on the old PC, needless to say, the user ID "Susan" DOES login just fine on her old PC w/ her password. Likewise, the newer PC, the user ID "David" DOES login just fine on his newer PC w/ his password. In other words,

Susan can login to the network on her old PC and see all of HER network drives and network printer, etc., and likewise
David can login to the network on his newer PC and see all of HIS network drives and network printer, etc.

So on the newer PC, I add a new acct. under the name "Susan" and setup this acct. also as administrator. I add this acct. under the login ID of the network system administrator name, so let's called this person Jack

Now I log off Jack, and at the grey color avatar at the bottom left corner of the windows screen, there is "Jack" and "Other User". So I click "Other User", and type in Susan as the login ID, and her network password.

That's when I get "User Name or password is incorrect"

Then I try to login under the server name path, so I type FURNITURE\Susan and type in her network password,

same thing, I get "User Name or password is incorrect"

So the next thing I try, is that I notice the user "David" also has a domain name called David, so I create another brand new user acct. profile called Susan and keep her network password the same, and login under DAVID\Susan, and type in her network password. So windows 10 creates a brand new profile under "Susan", and "Susan" can see the name of the main network folder directory "Furn_server" and the network printers.

So now I click "Furn_server" , and the network ask me for the user ID and password

Now I type in "Susan", and her password, it's the same network password from the older PC. And I get the usual password incorrect error

But on this grey pop up windows, it allows me to use other credentials. So as a test, I enter "David" and his network password. NOW I can see everything, all the network files are accessible and the network printers of course. So in a way, I kind of got this whole thing to work.

However, that's not really the same as using "Susan" login ID and password on her older PC. Because supposedly, I should be able to login to the network at boot up by typing Susan and her pwd. and I should be able to see all the network files.

Just for clarification:

at this point, under User Account, there are actually 4 acct.

David on his own PC (local) and naturally, his password can be reset
David on the network and the password reset is grey out
Susan on her own PC (local)
Susan on the network and the password reset is grey out

the only other thing I try, is under Computer Management, I go to Local Users and Groups, and click Users, and under Susan, the default is a CHECK-ON under "Account is disabled", and I UN-CHECK that, and again, it makes no difference.

Now I am guessing I am missing something really basic, can anyone help?

From the link below, it looks like that guy also have the same problem, but I thought I have already try that trick by adding the domain name at the beginning, then the \Susan and no difference

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...a1501c8b32f/username-or-password-is-incorrect

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a domain setup, but you added a local account on the PC ?

I added a network acct. and a local acct. The network acct. got that "User Name or password is incorrect" error. So I have no choice but forced to add the local acct., and from the new local acct. of Susan, I can see the network folder and printers but can't access to the files in the folder.

So, I then do a local acct. login under Susan, but use the David acct. name and pwd. to access the the network files credentials, and it DOES work.

But that means everyday Susan login, she has to do a Map network drive, and to access the files, she has to choose "Use other credential", and enter David login ID and pwd.

This afternoon, I go thru ALL Of the following except one:

https://www.top-password.com/blog/fix-enter-network-credentials-error-in-windows-10/

https://www.4winkey.com/windows-10/...rk-credentials-not-working-on-windows-10.html

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-enter-network-credentials-error-on-windows-11-10

=========================================

the one I can't do is the one that they ask me to "Turn off password protected sharing", because on that page, there is no option under password protected sharing, which means the way the domain is setup, it must have disallowed it

So as of right now, even the Credentials manager is disabled (as a test), and enforced all of the above tricks in those 3 link, and if I login thru the regular way, ie:
by typing FURNITURE\Susan and type in her network password,

same thing, I still get "User Name or password is incorrect"

===========================

the only thing I did find out that is useful is that the network does allow a local acct. and a network acct. of the same name "Susan" to access the files

I also find out that even w/ the old PC log OFF, and try the above on the newer PC, same error: "User Name or password is incorrect"
However, in a simple network, can you have "Multiple connections to a server by the same user login ID on 2 different PC at the same time?

At this pt., since I follow those 3 links, I begin to re-think my position that the problem is something rare, and that I didn't miss anything basic? I like a 2nd opinion

Last edited:
Update:

if the above needed to be done only at the server level, what should I search for at the google search engine as to the keywords at a server level to fix this?

This is seriously a dead simple issue, and, from trying to read your posts on it, I think you... don't have a grasp on basic authentication, and, whomever you're doing this for should seek someone with more experience or knowledge. I'm also a bit worried that it sounds like you, or someone, gave David's login to Susan, which is a pretty serious security violation in it's own right.

This is seriously a dead simple issue, and, from trying to read your posts on it, I think you... don't have a grasp on basic authentication, and, whomever you're doing this for should seek someone with more experience or knowledge. I'm also a bit worried that it sounds like you, or someone, gave David's login to Susan, which is a pretty serious security violation in it's own right.
that's because David has retired. So noone is using his PC, thus, the switching for Susan to a newer PC. I already said on the 1st sentence that I'm rather "green" on network. Regardless, can you help?

Have them spend a little in a network nas unit, setup the shares, test, then move all the files there, done.
If the files are on a users PC, most likely a pair of 2tb or 4tb drives will be fine and not super expensive.

Last edited:
Back