Need Help getting an ultra compact camera ver. what best fits my needs?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to camera technology. I've searched the forums and done a bit of researching, but am still undecided on what to go with. I've currently been using a sony cybershot dsc-p9, but it feels like a brick in my pocket and is kind of hard to travel with.

Price is not an option

Here's what I need in a camera and what i'll be using it for:

Needs to be very small, light and compact, but feature rich.

I'll be using the camera, mostly for point and shoot for people photos and photos of landmarks, buildings, etc. i.e. for trips out of town, nights out, travel, etc. Photos taken in all light levels and something I can just pull out and shoot quickly and easily when events happen. The camera will mostly be taken on trips or to events where i'll be carrying it in a pocket. My current sony is, like i said, kind of like carrying a big square brick in my pocket and its slow to start and focus.

I really want something that takes great photos and is a good all around camera.

From what I understand Image stabilization and High ISO's (1600) are the things to look for.

Just by browsing the bestbuy website, these caught my eye:

Fuji Finepix z3
Nikon Coolpix s7c
Olympus stylus 720 sw
Casio Exilim
Canon sd600

Any recommendations based on the above info?

I know my cousin has the Exlim and, it is tiny that is for sure. You might go to this link and, read the reviews. cameras Also read the readers reviews as, well.

Yeah, i've been to that site. just wanted some more advice...

Ok, so the exlim is tiny, but how is it as a camera?

HotL3@D said:
Yeah, i've been to that site. just wanted some more advice...

Ok, so the exlim is tiny, but how is it as a camera?
My cousin loves his. He shoots video for the History Channel so, consider the source.

I've always liked canon cameras, they've always had among the best picture quality.

Having said that, check out the reviews and comparisons at stevesdigicams.com and dpreview.com - they're the real experts.

I think i've narrowed it down to these:

Sony cybershot T10
Canon SD850IS
Casio Exilim

I'm leaning more towards the t10, just because of its compact size and image stabilization. the canon also has IS, but the exilim does not, however, it is the smallest.

I'm going to bestbuy today to try them all out.

Get the canon. For a P&S, you will obviously have little to no manual features or any control over your images. Therefore you have to rely on the camera's own metering system and out of the 2500+ pics I took with my old SD600 before I sold it, maybe 1 or 2 had incorrect exposure.

Back