Need help from GTX460/BF3 players..

rushaoz

Weaksauce
Im getting a new cpu/mobo but Im not sure about how cheap I can go yet still have the cpu handle 64p smoothly and be able to max out my gpu load. So.. I would like for my fellow gtx460/bf3 players to chime in on the performance they get with whatever cpu you have coupled with your gtx 460. <y current q6600 is getting its ass handed to it. Load is around 80% with gpu load floating between 50-70%. I can play the damn campaign on ultra settings for atleast 30-40 fps so I know its not my GPU thats lacking.

I'll start so you guys can laugh at me. This is on caspian 64 player with settings on auto. (All High, no deffered AA, High post AA, 16x AF, No motion blur, and hbao.)

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
24704, 542618, 26, 77, 45.527

i have a i7 950 @ 3.45ghz and sli 1gb 460gtx
i can easily run the game with like 80+fpx on medium/high settings at 1920x1080
i can run high high settings playing pretty confertably but i get noticeable microstutter and it uses my mem almost completely. i get 60+fps on high settings, with drops of course.

when i was a 3.06ghz i would, on high settings, get usually around 60fps not really going to much higher and drops to 45fps

<y current q6600 is getting its ass handed to it.

I hate to say it, but you'll need a beefier CPU, there are some interesting threads about that [H]ere:

Q9650 @ 4.4Ghz vs. i5-2500K @ 5Ghz

BF3 64 player MP CPU benchmarks!

Load is around 80% with gpu load floating between 50-70%.

I'll start so you guys can laugh at me. This is on caspian 64 player with settings on auto. (All High, no deffered AA, High post AA, 16x AF, No motion blur, and hbao.)

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
24704, 542618, 26, 77, 45.527

Your GPU usage is way to low, if you're using the FPS limiter from MSI:AB, then that's normal. :p

If you're not going SLI, then an i5-2400 should do the job.

I don't recommend the i3-2100, because on a 64 player map they are already at around 80% CPU usage.

i have a i7 950 @ 3.45ghz and sli 1gb 460gtx
i can easily run the game with like 80+fpx on medium/high settings at 1920x1080
i can run high high settings playing pretty confertably but i get noticeable microstutter and it uses my mem almost completely. i get 60+fps on high settings, with drops of course.

when i was a 3.06ghz i would, on high settings, get usually around 60fps not really going to much higher and drops to 45fps

I have a similar setup like yours, except I have a i7-930 @ 3.2Ghz and my average is between 60-80fps.

Haha thanks guys. I know I need to switch out the q6600. The thing is that its still a really good cpu and I dont know what I could upgrade to on the cheap that would push my gpu to 100% load and still handle bf3 64 mp smoothly. What do you guys thing about an i5-750 cpu/mobo/ram combo?

The i5-750 should do the job, when it's OC'ed, it's performance is similar to an i5-2400 ;)

I have a similar setup like yours, except I have a i7-930 @ 3.2Ghz and my average is between 60-80fps.

sounds about right, only complaint i have about my cards is the noise level :D
when playing games that push my cards, such as bf3, the cards get pretty loud

rush my advice to you is to just save up and get a new mobo and cpu when you can afford it
you can get a i5 2500k for $200 right now

turn your settings down and enjoy the game
also, you should post screens of your perfoverlay, type "render.perfoverlayvisible 1" in console

sounds about right, only complaint i have about my cards is the noise level :D
when playing games that push my cards, such as bf3, the cards get pretty loud

Did you OC your setup and what did you set it to, including fan speed?

I have the fan speed configured at 70 and I could hear it over my case fan. Thank god for headphones.

Yea ill do some perf overlay. What Ive actually done is use msi afterburner to lock the game at 30 fps. Its a much more consisten experience and i get to even turn anti aliasing on. Of course on 64p karkand maps i still drop to the lower 20s. But so far im enjoying the game this way. I can honestly say I don't mind it and if I really wanted to keep my set up. But yea i think ive decided on a 2500k. Just blow the money and spent it. That thing is super future proof lol

Did you OC your setup and what did you set it to, including fan speed?

I have the fan speed configured at 70 and I could hear it over my case fan. Thank god for headphones.

ya i overclocked from 3.06ghz to 3.45/3.66 turbo
i set my fans to go to 80 when my cards hit 80c, keeps the top card under 80c, usually 77c
my gpus are the only thing i can hear in my case :p, im hoping to upgrade to a 680 once they drop.

are your running sli or just a single 460?

@ rushaoz idk how u can play at 30fps lol
i definitively recommend turning your settings down to low for a more enjoyable experience.

Consoles man lol. Most of the console games only do 30 fps. Try it. Its not as bad as it sounds. A fixed framerate at 30 fps is more enjoyable than one that dips in the low 20s and climbs as high as 70.

I run BF3 @ 1080p with everything on ultra except no MSAA, motion blur, and the lower of the two shadow options.

Card is clocked at 820/2100. OC'ing my 2500k to 4.2GHz was a noticeable improvement over the stock 3.3GHz, especially on the 64-player games.

I've never tried the perf overlay thing. I can look into trying that next time I play.

Consoles man lol. Most of the console games only do 30 fps. Try it. Its not as bad as it sounds. A fixed framerate at 30 fps is more enjoyable than one that dips in the low 20s and climbs as high as 70.

i agree with a fixed framerate is much better
but i dont like my fps going under 60:D
ive tried playing on ultra where i get 28-42fps and its unplayable to me

wow, well the easy answer, consider an upgrade to Q9550 won't work for you since your board likely doesn't support that cpu. Since your into doing a new build then by all means go for the value bet, I'm sure you'll be happy you did. BTW any chance to use the new nVidia drivers and active vSync?

Back