Need help for memory newb.

rcrez

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to buy memory for a e4300 box at 266 fsb. Ideally if my fsb is 266 then I need 266mhz memory to get the best performance right? That would be ddr2-533?

Can I buy ddr2-667 or ddr2-800 and still put it in my box and run the same as if I got ddr2-533? I would like my ram to be more "future proof" and if I plan on overclocking the e4300 later on to 400mhz fsb, I would like the ddr2-800 to allow my memory to run 1:1.

I've noticed the timings are higher for the higher speed ram, is there a drawback to this? What do those timings mean? Ithe is it better to get just the lower speed I need to get the perfect timings?

Also, can I buy a 1GB stick of ddr2-667 or 800 from one vendor, then buy the other 1GB stick at a later date and get the dual channel functionality (assuming my board supports it)

BTW....my cpu is a pin-modded e4300 to run at 266mhz on a cheap ECS mobo.

Oh boy, hmm k. give it a shot.

BTW....my cpu is a pin-modded e4300 to run at 266mhz on a cheap ECS mobo.

Actually that might be the most important thing. Without knowing you FSB options and what you can set for memory timings it makes answering the other stuff hard. I will just assume you have none, thus the need to pin-mod the cpu. You are stuck with 266 FSB and auto timings (yuck) :(

I'm trying to buy memory for a e4300 box at 266 fsb. Ideally if my fsb is 266 then I need 266mhz memory to get the best performance right? That would be ddr2-533?

Yes, thats it in a nutshell, you can stop reading this now.......... and if the board even had memory dividers so that you could run the memory faster than the CPU FSB you would no longer be running in synchronous mode (CPU onboard cache runs at FSB x 2 and when you also run your memory at FSB x 2 it is called sync, with everyone in the boat paddling at the same speed it is very efficient). When you do not run in sync, called asynchronous mode, wait states and buffers have to be used because the timings don't match that reduces the effectiveness of running the memory faster. You might come out ahead, might not. But I don't think it applies here.

Can I buy ddr2-667 or ddr2-800 and still put it in my box and run the same as if I got ddr2-533? I would like my ram to be more "future proof" and if I plan on overclocking the e4300 later on to 400mhz fsb, I would like the ddr2-800 to allow my memory to run 1:1.

Yes it will run fine and you are exactly correct for when you get a better motherboard. NOTE as long as it does not require some high voltage to operate properly, stick with 1.8 1.9 volt stuff

I've noticed the timings are higher for the higher speed ram, is there a drawback to this? What do those timings mean? Ithe is it better to get just the lower speed I need to get the perfect timings?

Not really true untill you get up into the super high speed stuff cause the memory chips just cant do it and have to be loosened up timings wise, and generally give a pretty high voltage too. But you were exactly on the button with your last question, get DDR6400(800MHz) 4 4 4 12 or back off to 5 5 5 15 if budget is thin. Whole books have been written on what those number mean, short version, in addition to the basic speed, say 800MHz the meory runs at, to access a memory address/location on the stick a lot of things have to happen at very specific timing intervals. Those numbers are the number of clock tics some of the primary things that need to happen can happen at. The access time if you will. So lower numbers are a tiny bit faster. THIS is the important thing, C2D systems are not very sensitive to these timings and unless you were running benchmarks you could never tell the difference, in a game it might, might, be 2FPS difference, its almost trivial. But go with the best you can afford, it always pays in the long run. (memory timings explanation very simplifed, others please dont flame me)

Also, can I buy a 1GB stick of ddr2-667 or 800 from one vendor, then buy the other 1GB stick at a later date and get the dual channel functionality (assuming my board supports it)

probally but no safe bets, if exact same memory from same manuf I would say 99% chance. However memory makers will change the actual chips on sticks due to supplier issues etc, stick has same specs but might use different memory chips on the stick. Could cause a problem. So if you do this, get mainstream ram, nothing weird, use a stable manufacturer, one that will be easy to find/buy another one. and shoot an email to their tech support and beg them to answer the question, Is this stuff going to be around in a year? (thats marketing sensitive info, not sure you will get an answer) Or buy some memory that was just released/announced, you should be able to get more in a year. Myself i would shoot Yellowbeard the Corsair rep a PM and ask the hypothetical question of "if you were going to buy some PCxxx now and another stick a year from now to run in dual channel what corsair memory would you buy ? " you would be putting him on the spot, not really fair, but he might answer, and if he does keep it to yourself. Keep in mind he does not own the company and can only give educated guess if he can answer at all. (Man I hope this does not annoy him too awful much).

After writing all this, I think I have answered your questions. Now my 2 cents.

Buy a stick of PC6400 800MHz corsair value ram will run like a champ, will probally match up in a year, and if not you didn't spend a fortune but its still good quality stuff. With the 4300 high mulitplier you will probably never even need to OC the memory so any decent pc6400 will do for now and probably later too.

Thanks for your help and long reply!

Any reason why you choose corsair? They seem to be slightly more expensive than other brands? How do you decide on how brands are good...

I was looking at newegg and found really cheap ddr2-800 from patriot...unfortunately it doesn't say anything about timings, but like you said...it doesn't matter..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220088

I know this probably from a no-name brand, but its only $61 for 1GB after rebate!

It will probally do for your ECS. I would not buy it thinking to get another pair.

I like Corsair becase I have used over 140 sticks of it without a DOA or a failure in service.
There are a couple of Corsair reps that hang out here just to help answer questions and have really jumped in when someone has a problem with Corsair and made it right. I dont mind a couple of extra bucks for that. I have not had to use them yet but knowing the help is there if I need it, and not have to wait a week or more for an answer to a question, is worth it to me.

WoW you right about no specs it does say CL 5 (thats ok and to be expected at that price) 1.8V (good) but thats it, even the product page on the manuf website does not say. I would have to assume the other timings are crappy, but on that ECS it isnt going to matter. You dont want to put a lot of money in this stick and you are not, got a lifetime warranty and newegg has good return policy so you are covered. Might be a PITA but if it doenst work out, you can exchange it for something else, keep all the packing etc. till you are postive its going to be ok.

Its good stuff
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1151552

Bill, thanks for the kind words. rcrez, if I can help you or my partner in crime here (Redbeard) can, please let us know.

Back