Need help fixing my "Screen saver" tab in display properties

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
Had some power supply problems, caused my HDD to power down while the system was running, and as a result, windows got screwed.

Managed to repair windows but now when my screen saver starts, the PC gives a BSOD, I managed to disable the Screen saver using group policy, but whenever I try to go to the screen saver tab, it crashes with a dll error, so need to know what files to replace to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You could try doing the following (Please unhide hidden files first, by opening any folder and going to Tools -> Folder Options -> View (Tab) -> Show hidden files and Folders)

Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

That will run the System File Checker, which will check all the files on your PC and try to fix any that are borked. You'll need you windows install CD to replace the bad ones.

That might fix it for you.

After mucking around for a bit I found the windows was screwed, had to mod my PSU to handle more HDDs (it only had 4 molex connections on a 350W PSU WTF??) replaced all the power connections on it, the existing ones were causing the hdds to spin down randomly, reloaded windows and its all working now.

Considered trying the sfc but a reload would probably be better since other stuff could be borked too... (for instance, I found that winamp no longer worked)

Back