Need help fixing my drive renaming blunder

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I have an internal card reader that has SD CF and MS and 2 other slots that I assigned drive letters to it is still installed but the names are no longer correct as I reassigned drive letters when I got new drives. There is no driver software involved (Well manufacturers software as it is just a normal mass storage class device).
I want to delete the name but when I do it just reverts back to the one that is already there! I searched the interwebs but I just get the "Normal" how to rename USB drives articles of which I already know how to do.
I just want it to go back to the normal USB drive name it does the same thing with and without a card in the reader.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried using disk management instead of doing it in windows folder?

That doesnt help us.
I don't know what more information is needed?
This is disk management I'm not sure what I did but the names are in explorer even with no card in the readers

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0
I don't know what more information is needed?
This is disk management I'm not sure what I did but the names are in explorer even with no card in the readers
My bad, I misread your trying to change the drive letter and wondered if you somehow goofed the process.

I've had a similar problem earlier this year, once a drive has been renamed it cannot be changed.
My fix was to wipe the drive clean, reformat and start again but that process is obfuscated on some USB devices.
Its a permissions issue, maybe someone can better help with that.

The alternative would be to delete USB drive registry entries so they are re-detected as new drives on reboot, this should restore the original names.
This article will help you, posted last year:
https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Record-of-USB-Plug-in-Equipment

My bad, I misread your trying to change the drive letter and wondered if you somehow goofed the process.

I've had a similar problem earlier this year, once a drive has been renamed it cannot be changed.
My fix was to wipe the drive clean, reformat and start again but that process is obfuscated on some USB devices.
Its a permissions issue, maybe someone can better help with that.

The alternative would be to delete USB drive registry entries so they are re-detected as new drives on reboot, this should restore the original names.
This article will help you, posted last year:
https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Record-of-USB-Plug-in-Equipment
I tried the USBView tool and deleting the registry keys did not work and my names still came back! Damn it what is the normal name for a USB drive without a card in it?

Back