Need help fitting a HSF to a SuperMicro Xeon board.

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a SuperMicro x8dti motherboard that I'm trying to fit a pair of Akasa Venom heatsinks and fans to for a build I'm in the middle of right now.

The back plate of the CPU socket is designed to accomodate heatsinks that screw INTO the plate. The Akasa Venom HSF's come with a different bracket that has posts that pass through the motherboard for the HSF to screw onto.

My question is, does anyone know where I can find replacement brackets that would hold down the LGA1366 bracket AND allow me to use the bracket provided with my HSF's?

This is similar to what I have now. You can see the extra ears on the for corners for a HSF to screw into.

s-l1600.jpg

Ended up cutting the ears off the plates that came with the board.

I know you already solved this, but for others in this scenario (like me), there's a simpler solution. The captive nuts on the bracket are M3. Just get some M3 screws about 2 inches long and install them from the underside of the motherboard. Use some M3 nuts instead of the included thumbscrews (or find some M3 thumbscrews) to replace the ones that came with the heatsink.

Back