Need help finding the least expensive Mini DP to Dual-link DVI Adapter...

vorpel

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I am wanting to connect up my AMD 7970 to my 3 Dell u3011 monitors. The computer is 20ft away from the displays and lives in a closet (temperature controlled).

My main u3011 display is using a dual-link DVI cable and running at WQXGA (2560x1600). I want to connect the other two Dell u3011's with dual-link DVI cables (so I can get the length) and use a Mini Displayport to dual-link DVI adapter.

So far the cheapest I see in the Monoprice one at $69. Since I have to buy two of these, I am looking for help with finding the least expensive Mini-DP to dual-link DVI adapater (to display 2560x1600 resolution) that I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

DC

Ebay recently had the same one as Monoprice for around $54 shipped. That seller was carrying them for a long time but i'm not seeing them anymore.

Not sure if you checked but you might be able to save $10-$15 total on Amazon and remember to also check Amazon's secondary sellers by clicking the link below the product price.

Good luck either way.

Thanks for the info! Okay - that's what I needed to know. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something and that I could get them for 1/2 the cost of what I was seeing...!

I'll do some more searching and then pick up a pair.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure it needs to be an Active Converter (not just an adapter) if you are using 3 displays with that card so some of the cheaper ones may not work.

The adapters didn't work. I got the first one to work but when I tried adding the second (3rd monitor) the Catalyst driver kinda freaked out. I am on the latest driver, so I am looking at other options.

Maybe I should just get a new video card.

That's odd, I use 2 dual-link adapters on my HD6950 and they work fine. What OS are you using? You can't get more than 2 monitors per card to work in Windows XP.

You've got U3011's... Why not go for some higher-quality DisplayPort cables? DP -> DL-DVI adapters are notoriously finicky under the best of circumstances. 6m *is* a bit long, but if you have a high-quality DP cable, they should work just fine.

WAIT!!! Why aren't you just running DisplayPort Cable to the Monitors? U3011 have native inputs which are far less annoying than those adapters. This is coming from a guy using 3x3007wfp's and 3xMiniDP->DL-DVI adapters. The adapters always break connection and then need to be power cycled.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for being away from the thread so long (new baby, new job, life...!)

I looked into long DP cables, however my computer is in my closet and the DP cable would need to be 30 ft long in order to work.

I did get a final resolution:

I purchased a different AMD 7970 video card with 2 DVI connectors (my original 7970 only had 1) and 1 DP connector. I purchased the AMD Eyefinity certified active adapter and I am now able to run all three monitors through Eyefinity.

I might put the 2nd 7970 into my computer and do Crossfire, otherwise I'll sell it on ebay.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Once of these days I'll get some time and post some pics.

-DC

Back