Need help finding server board/cpu/ram

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to upgrade without spending a fortune, I currently run a system with a quad core xeon, 18gb ram.

I would really like 16+ cores and 32 or more gigs of ram.

Anyone got idea on a good place to find what im looking for? would like to stay around 3-400 if possible.

Saw these cheap on Ebay.... like $51.

Xeon E5-2660 SR0KK 8-Core 16 Thread 2.20GHz 20M Cache

Then you could get a dual socket LGA2011 mobo.

What gen is the xeon you have now? What are you doing that requires the amount of cores and ram? If virtualization then you should also be looking for some SSD media.

The AMD G34 platform(old) can get you a lot of cores inexpensively, and the 2p/4p G34 supermicro boards can be overclocked with a magic bios. You can get CPUs at up to 16 cores each.

How big are those boards?

Yes it is virtualization. I have SSD media, thats not my concern, my issue now is lack of cores and lack of ram. Current is an older 1366 board. single cpu 18gb ram

Cases? WTF are those?!?1

When I did folding at home I slapped them on standoffs in a corner of the basement. The basement was not insulated and maintained 80+ even in Janurary MN winters. I ran some ES chips at 3ghz, from the wall was about 1000w draw for one of them. I started at the bottom of the team and when I called it good, I think I was #4 overall.

2013-01-17%2020.53.35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive, but not an option. We have small children, everything must be in a case or locked rack enclosure.

And I know those winters well as a MN native myself. Thats what I like about apartment living. small space means my rack easily keeps house around 72 all winter

Supermicro makes 2u cases for these beasts, but they will be loud and for overclocking you'd take the top off and run a CM 212+ like I did. There are also some HAF cases that can be modded with almost no work to fit them. Check the DC subforum, theres a plethora of info on this, these boards, cooling, power supplies, memory, modded bios and oh my.

Dell also has a g34 server, I think the c6220? I believe it is a quad CPU unit.

Back