Need help finding out if my Ebay m1015 is dead

AUGieDogie

n00b
So I received my m1015 on Thursday, and after playing with for a while I'm worried it might be dead.
I've tested it with three different boards and it never seems to see either the card's bios when booting, or the card in device manager.
Machine 1 Asus Max form 5 windows 7 64bit no flash screen for the card, not showing in device manager.
Machine 2 (my server) asus p8p67-evo windows home server 2011, same as above

test board- Asus p5w-dh I boot to dos on usb, no raid flash screen. ran megarec -adpinfo (or whatever the command to show the cards) and it comes back "no cards found"

I have tried this in several of the pci slots, swapping it with my video card with no changes.

The light is on and the card is warm, it also seems to spin up the one HD i have connected to it. But no luck.

The card was sold as "unused in box" which it appeared to be, even having the protection plugs in the cable connections.

Any help appreciated

Sounds similar to what happened when I bought a drive that ended up being counterfeit.

Contact the seller and explain to them what you've said here, you've done the reasonable things to try it out.

You said that "the light its on". On a working m1015 there should be two lights. One indicates power and is probably the one that you see. The other flashes on/off slowly after the application boots and indicates heartbeat from the IT/IR application on the card.

If all you have is power then the card is not loading the application. It might not be dead. Get the LSI tools and firmware from here. Boot into DOS and see if megarec can see the card. If it does then go ahead and re-flash it. All should be good.

If megarec can't see it then it is, indeed, dead. Contact your seller for a return and possible replacement if he has more.

So now the great process of trying to get my money back from an ebay purchase. Sigh

good luck with that. Ebay/Paypal are crap, i've almost never gotten my money back from them. (I count the once I did as a fluke)

There's reasons I vastly prefer Amazon's marketplace vs. crapbay.

PANiCnz, I read that thread and thought maybe that was it, but my p5 board obviously doesn't use either a sandy or ivy bridge.

Still going to get another m1015 as i think that will be the best for my flexraid set up.

I use a few M1015s with FlexRAID with no issues. Sorry you got a dud, but they'll work great with FlexRAID once you flash it!

I'd still try the tape mod just in case, it should only take about 5 minutes. I'm highly skeptical that my issue had anything to do with the CPU. The more i read up on these LSI cards the more I find people having these sort of issues across a broad range of hardware.

No tape, just returned it, not as bad as I though for the return. Now I got to find another one.

Well, that board was dead, I got a full refund and I got a replacement today, and it seems fine. Now I just have to figure out how to get the damn thing working on p8p67.

Back