Need help finding a switch

wolfofone

Gawd
Hi guys, I need a bit of help in finding a switch. I recently moved to a new house that has been wired with Cat5e Ethernet but it terminates in RJ11 plugs. I want to take those out and terminate them in RJ45 jacks so that I can have wired access for streaming live TV from my networked CC tuner (Wireless N isn't fast/reliable enough, and I just like wired connections heh). There are RJ11 jacks in each room and I'll be replacing those with RJ45. So far so good.

But this means that I'll need a switch in the little wiring cabinent where all these cables terminate right? The problem is that there is no AC outlet nearby :(. What are my options then as far as getting something working? I've tried googling but am not having any luck. It seems like I could try finding something that is powered by Power over Ethernet? I'm just not sure what that involves or how expensive that is as I don't know what I need. Right now I have a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports and Gigabit devices, though I suppose even 100Mbps wired would be okay as it should still be more reliable than WiFi. How does PoE work?

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers in the right direction :).

EDIT: Darn it, the CMS lost my update. Basically, would going with a PoE injector and splitter to power a non-PoE switch be a better option (seems to be cheaper as well)? Would something like these two work: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-Ethernet-Injector-TPE-113GI/dp/B007Q87KP2 ?
Would having that on the network cause any problems for other devices before hitting the Injector or after the splitter?

Thanks again :) Never studied PoE before and still reading up on it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are a few small poe powered switches, like the netgear GS108T-200

Get that, then get a normal POE injector, not one that splits power out to a 12Volt interface. It should say something about 802.3AF

Note that this is a GigE switch, if your router is also GigE, make sure the POE injector is GigE rated. We've bought hundreds of phihong POE20U-560G for various projects. As POE injectors go, they're pretty nice.

Then your network looks like:

Router ------ POE injector ------- switch ------ xbox

The POE injector should be invisible to anything you put on the network.

Make sure when you reterminate your cable that you follow proper T568A or T568B pinouts.

Back