Need Help Finding a Monitor

JMcQueen

Limp Gawd
I've had a good scour through the manufacturers but cant seem to find something suitable. What I'm looking for is:

Between 22" and 23" for 1920x1080. I dont think I could live with the pixed density on a 24" with a ratio lower than 1920x1200

Glossy. I have control over the lighting and glare isnt a problem.

IPS.

VESA mountable.

Anyone got any recommendations??

There is the Dell S series -- Dell S2340L/M and Dell S2240L/M. The latter is actually 21.5" to be exact.

But they aren't vesa mountable (that I am aware of).

There is also the 23" VG23AH, which is semiglossy and vesa mountable (I think), but I do recall some people having an issue with the 3D component to it (faint lines, or something like that).

Samsung announced a couple of 23" PLS models, but I am not sure if any are available yet, or if they are vesa mountable -- I'll assume they will be semiglossy.

So afraid I don't know of any at that size that is both glossy and vesa mountable, just a couple that are sort of close.

Yeah, I thought the Dell's would be ideal and exactly what I'd like but the lack of VESA is a deal breaker. It seems VESA is becoming less and less popular whilst at the same time manufacturers are providing every worse stands.

There is the Dell S series -- Dell S2340L/M and Dell S2240L/M. The latter is actually 21.5" to be exact.

But they aren't vesa mountable (that I am aware of).

As far as I know, only the S2740L has VESA in that line. I'm not sure why given they all the same aesthetic, the electronics are behind the panel and not in the "stand" and, similar "stands" but it is what it is.

Going by how a lot of the displays look that lack VESA, it's because they are moving the electronics down into the stands so they can scream "thinner" panel in the marketing. That really makes no sense though because, the stands are getting clunkier and more intrusive as the back of the case gets thinner. It's the same type of situation as it is with the "bezel-less" designs since the dead space is still there but, it now lacks a bezel to cover it so it looks like the panel can just pop out and results in a really "flimsy" panel. It also results in your display looking like something hasn't been upscaled to fill the screen. Panel aesthetics are being taken to extremes with no regard for anything else and it's because the general public keeps eating it up while begging for more.

I wonder if I could buy a S series, remove the back cover and make some mounting holes? Not sure if the back panel has the right shape to it. Failing that, make a small attachment similar to what the apple cinemas use for vesa mounting.

The back cover bows out but, it does that as well on the S2740L which has VESA. Looking at the pictures for TFT Cetral's review of the Dell S2740L, it looks like that area may be reinforced. The problem you will run into on the other monitors in that line is the Dell S2740L is the only one that has a recess molded into the part that bows out and that' recess is where both the factory stand and VESA mount into. I believe the others have a metal "clip" on there stands that slides in and locks in place (with a quick release button) at the bottom of the monitor near the back cover as that is how the Dell S2440L is.

It's possible you can rig a VESA to it but, the back cover isn't exactly "sturdy" judging by the S2440L. It's fine for what it is as the sides of the bezel and the edge to edge glass are what make everything on the Dell S2440L "rigid". However, I think all the other monitors (except the Dell S2740L) in that line are the new "bezel-less" style which means the panel is already going to be pretty "flimsy/flexible" as it lacks the front bezel even though it still has the "dead area" where the panel can not create a picture.

Not trying to dash your hopes or anything but, I did want you to know what you're getting into with the way this line's cases/bezels/covers have been designed as it could turn out problematic trying to mod a VESA mount into them.

Yeah, you're right. Probably more hassle than it's worth. I was hoping to do something similar to what Vega did here with the Samungs:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644035

Seems like its a real gap in the market and surely it cant be THAT difficult for manufacturers to over some vesa options.

You might be able to rig something but if the rest of that line (barring the Dell S2740L) looks like the Dell S2440L inside, the metal "plate" on the back of the panel is just a flat piece of metal with nothing on it other than the electronics taped to it. I've never done what you are looking to do but, it would appear you would either need to attach something to that plate, modify/reinforce the back cover, or remove the "hinge" assembly from the silver stand and try to mount that to the VESA. The hinge is fairly strong/resistent on the Dell S2440L but, it needs to be because of the added weight of the edge to edge glass. I'm not sure what the other monitors hinges are like in that line.

The option I would go with (based on an outsider's POV) would be to use the hinge as a template, trace it's pattern onto a suitable gauge metal to still work with the quick release button in the monitor, then work the rest of the metal with a bender (or even other pieces welded together) to the desired shape/location, that you would want the VESA mount to be. You could do something "simple" in the shape of a "J" where the shorter part would slide/lock into the stock stand's mounting location and, where the longer part would be parallel to the back of the panel. You would need to cut out part of the back cover that bows out though if you wanted it to be be absolutely parallel to the panel.

That may be more than you are willing to go through but, on paper it looks like a fairly logical solution. How practical it is may be another matter though as it might stress the wrong areas since you would be changing the counterweight position from a stand under the monitor to a VESA mount behind it.

You could potentially modify the area of the monitor though where the stand slides/locks into. I didn't pay that any attention to that area as I only pulled the back off my Dell S2440L to verify the panel model number since mine had PWM. It's likely metal (the quick release button is plastic or has a plastic cover on it) since the hinge that slides/locks in is made of metal (as is the silver stand which has a plastic cover on it).

It is a big risk, particularly when I could bite the bullet and buy a korean 27" glossy IPS for not significantly more outlay.

Its just that I use 2x 22" monitors at work (non glossy) on vesa's and quite like the ability to have them positioned quite close to me without having to move my head around to view the whole screen.

Back