Need Help Fast : Windows Error!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by r3g, Jun 18, 2006.

1. r3g

r3g Limp Gawd

ok so when i tried to boot up this morning it said windows couldnt start because of the following file is missing or currputed

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

and to boot the windows cd n try to repair it. im in the black windows repair screen right now but dont know what to type in to fix it, can anyone help me?

2. rapperwith1p

rapperwith1p Gawd

Type help and check out the list of commands. Look for anything dealing with how to fix the boot record.

3. r3g

r3g Limp Gawd

EDIT: the option in the rec console is 1. c:\windows

but everytime i select it i get the but everytime i do i get the blue screen of death saying Registry_Error...

4. TheGamerZ

TheGamerZ [H]ardness Supreme

Man... what did you do?

The entire System dir is gone? I think you need to reinstall windows there bud.

5. r3g

r3g Limp Gawd

thats the funny thing i didnt do anything... i figured id have to reformat just wanted to make sure theres no alternative.. no biggy thats what storage drives are for =D

6. poot

poot Friends of Dorothy Society

if you havn't reformated yet the command you can try in the console mode is:
    cd yoursystemdir\system32\config
    ren system system.old
    ren system.alt system

If your backup copy is not corrupt you will get back in on a restart.

7. r3g

r3g Limp Gawd

i cant type all that in... in the recovery console it only allows u to type 1 character, if your talking about the step after that thats a no go because after i select my windows installation i get the blue screen