Need help delagating audio playback to two different sound cards

ITTom80

Weaksauce
I have two monitors plugged into one Windows XP PC (in sig). I also have two sound cards on this pc with 2 sets of speakers, (motherboard sound plugged into a 15" LCD w/ integrated speakers, and a PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2 plugged into my headphones) .

Basically, I want to play games on my primary monitor/headphones, while simultaneously playing a DVD on the secondary monitor/speakers for my wife/kids/guests/etc, without having the sounds crossing-over (hence the need for a second sound card).

While windows recognizes both sound devices, I cannot seam to segregate the sound output for each device, I must specify one device to handle ALL sound output. There is a voice tab in the windows audio control panel where I can specify a second device to handle voice recording/playback, but I want to take this one step further and dedicate the second device for other applications such as a DVD player, and this is where I am having trouble.

Not really sure what the best method is for accomplishing this, but I was hoping someone here could steer me in the right direction. Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

It depends on applications. Sometimes you cannot specify audio output, so the sound goes to a default device, but sometimes you can and here's how to handle it:

For example, Light Alloy can play DVDs, video and music and you can specify what sound output it should use. So point it to sound card A with speakers connected and for all other apps set sound card B with headphones as default in Control Panel/Sound.

Back