Need help converting a wireless router to a switch...

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
I've had problems getting Bittorrent going with my home wireless networking setup so I've gone back to using my old SMC Barricade router -but I still need to have wireless capability so I've attached my cheapo Airlink wireless router to the SMC router...

network08.jpg

So now I've got two routers working on the same network -and two subnets. The SMC Barricade has setup a 192.168.123.xxx network and the Airlink created a 192.168.1.xxx wired and wireless network. This means that computers on each subnet have a hard time seeing each other. I can't browse for other computers -I have to access them by their specific IP address. Also, a shared printer on one network can't be used by the other...

So I'd like to just turn the Airlink wireless router into some sort of "wireless switch" instead. I've tried the user manual but I'm not sure what type of network settings I need to disable to simply accept the netowork protocol of the SMC router. Any help here would be hot...

put it on the 192.168.123.- subnet that your SMC device hands out IP addresses on.

then make sure the cat5 cable from the SMC device is plugged into a one of the normal "switch" jacks in the airlink device (not the WAN or public port).

restart the airlink device.

done.

PTNL said:

put it on the 192.168.123.- subnet that your SMC device hands out IP addresses on.

then make sure the cat5 cable from the SMC device is plugged into a one of the normal "switch" jacks in the airlink device (not the WAN or public port).

restart the airlink device.

done.

AWESOME PTNL!!!! That was just what I needed to do! Workin' like a champ now. The [H] RAWKS!

Back