Need help choosing a decent non TN 24 inch

Darthy

n00b
Hello,

I was hoping you guys could offer some advice. I'm looking to buy a 24 inch monitor. I've been reading a bit but it's hard to decide. Also a lot of the reviews are old so I don't know what's current. I'm no big expert.

Things I would like from the monitor are:
a PVA (in general non TN) panel
DVI preferable
1:1 pixel mapping
preferably not too reflecting if you know what I mean

Also I would prefer to not spend more than 550 Euro (now since most shops still do 1 euro = 1 dollar it would be the same in dollar).

The ones I came up with so far are the Hyundai W241D and the BenQ FP241W (but no 1:1 pixel mapping ?)
I'm also looking at the Acer AL2423wd as a friends of mine have those and they seem to be a good price / quality, I am however unsure if they are still being sold. When they got it 8 months ago they paid around 450 Euro.

I would use the monitor for both normal windows use as gaming (but I'm not that big a gamer, it doesn't need to be 2ms response time for me for example, 5 or 8 is fine)

Do you guys have any other suggestions ? Or thoughts about the 3 monitors I mentioned ?

Thanks !

Using Euros I presume you are from continental Europe, where the only 24"-26" H-IPSs are pretty expensive NEC 2690, LaCie 526 and now HP LP2480xz.
So... how much is HP LP2465 in your country? (I hate PVAs however :) )

Thanks for the reply :)

Cheapest I found the HP LP2465 at was 672 euros (didn't look very long so might be able to get it down to 650 or something if I look around, but doubt it'll go cheaper than that).

No not really, don't really plan on doing that. However if I play games and the rest of my computer can't follow I prefer to put the resolution a bit lower but not have the stretch effect with everything looking blurry.
However if you can recommend a good screen that doesn't have the 1:1 pixel mapping it might be worth a look, as it isn't super important if the rest of the specs are good :) Non TN is my main requirement along with general good performance (that and the price ;))

edit: What do you guys think of the LG 24" LCD L245WP-BN ? I've read some good things about it (including on this forum) and I could pick it up for 470 euro.

edit: What do you guys think of the LG 24" LCD L245WP-BN ? I've read some good things about it (including on this forum) and I could pick it up for 470 euro.

I like mine a lot (L246WP-BN, but it's the same thing). Deep, rich colors, very fast response time (for a *VA at least). It has less strong of an anti-reflective coating, so it is slightly shiny, but nowhere near the levels of a full-on glossy panel. I adore its pivot feature. The only real problems with it are: only one digital input, so you'll need a switch if you want to hook up both a PC and a console or blu-ray player or the like, and the normal VA disadvantage of gamma shift at an angle. I paid a lot less money for it also.

I like mine a lot (L246WP-BN, but it's the same thing). Deep, rich colors, very fast response time (for a *VA at least). It has less strong of an anti-reflective coating, so it is slightly shiny, but nowhere near the levels of a full-on glossy panel. I adore its pivot feature. The only real problems with it are: only one digital input, so you'll need a switch if you want to hook up both a PC and a console or blu-ray player or the like, and the normal VA disadvantage of color shift at an angle. I paid a lot less money for it also.
I'll also second the LG as being a great monitor. I've been using mine for a little over a year and have been very happy with it. However, I will add a couple of other points you might want to consider.

First, the anti-reflective coating, while it doesn't cause a strong glare, does seem to make the text a little less sharp when compared to other models. This doesn't bother me, and the majority of users seem happy, but this issue has been brought up enough in the past that I think it's worth mentioning. If you think this is something that might bother you, it might be a good idea to try and see the monitor in person before buying, if possible.

One other point: I believe this model is now discontinued. This isn't bad in and of itself, but it does mean that if you ever need to RMA it to LG for service, it might not always be possible to get the same model back as a replacement. I'm not sure which model they typically send back presently, but I seem to recall that some users were "upgraded" to a newer model which uses a TN panel when they had it replaced. You'll need to look around for the specifics, though, as this happened a while ago and I don't remember all the details.

Other than these points, and what farfromhome already mentioned, it's a fine monitor. If you haven't already seen it, there's a huge thread on it here.

Thanks for the info :) I checked out the thread (well part of it, it's so long !) and everyone seems to be really positive about it. I find it strange though that this store still has stock (and claims it'll get more stock soon). I double checked if it's not the TN version at the hand of the product name and looks ok (also it says viewing angle of 178 degrees so that also confirms it not to be TN)

Going to give them a call tomorrow, chances are the salesman on the phone will go "euh" when I ask him what panel type the monitor has :)

Back