need help calculating the consumption of my server

iakovl

Weaksauce
i'm building a small NAS/HTPC using :
  • PURE Fusion Mini E350 (IPC-E350M1)
  • 5* samsung HD204UI 2TB

i bought a 250W seasonic PSU but the i remembered i have a 65W DC-DC psu taken from Gigabyte MIB T5140 and a 90W picopsu with a 80W brick

any chance on of them (more likly the picopsu) will be able to power up my setup? i could save a lot of space if i use them for the build

Get yourself a Kill-A-Watt and see what it is actually pulling. It is a great item to have in your toolkit!

These guys found that a small system built around that motherboard/cpu used 21W idle and 76W on max load - that's with a less efficient PSU than what you're using, though.

Each of those 2TB drives uses ~6.3W when reading/writing (from here), so that's >30W right there. Also be aware that there'll be a power draw spike as they all spin up simultaneously and I don't know where you'd find that figure. You'd be looking at ~25W on idle for all five.

HTH.

Just as a comparison. I had an ASRock e-350 with 4x hitachi 2TB 5k3000 HDDs and a 16gig SSD as the OS drive. Idle power usage (with the disks spinning) as about 40W. Power saving features of the cpu didn't appear to work in Solaris so you could probably get it lower. On spin-up power usage spiked to 70-80 watts for a bit.

90W might work, probably the bare minimum unless you can get staggered drive spin up. With staggered spin up the 65W might also work but it would be close.

m... i'll try to play a bit with my plans and use the 250W... don't want to play on the border line with my data

Back