Need help building new PC!

Well my 2nd PC died, the motherboard, CPU, Video Card, and RAM are gone. So now I am looking to get a Athlon 64 system. I have been out of the loop on PC hardware for more then a year so I need a little help. So far I am thinking of going with the following:

Athlon 64 3500+ NCIX
ASUS A8V-Deluxe NCIX
MSI Radeon 9800 128MB Pro NCIX
OCZ 2X512 DDR4000 NCIX

I figure this should be good for overclocking. I think the 3500 has another core that overclocks better, but I don't know of another good retailer that ships to Canada. I would like to keep things in the price range of around 1200 CAD at most, won't need that great of a video card, so hopefully the 9800 can hold me over for a year and a half, just like my 8500 has.

--Seph :D

Neo Sephiroth said:
Well my 2nd PC died, the motherboard, CPU, Video Card, and RAM are gone. So now I am looking to get a Athlon 64 system. I have been out of the loop on PC hardware for more then a year so I need a little help. So far I am thinking of going with the following:

Athlon 64 3500+ NCIX
ASUS A8V-Deluxe NCIX
MSI Radeon 9800 128MB Pro NCIX
OCZ 2X512 DDR4000 NCIX

I figure this should be good for overclocking. I think the 3500 has another core that overclocks better, but I don't know of another good retailer that ships to Canada. I would like to keep things in the price range of around 1200 CAD at most, won't need that great of a video card, so hopefully the 9800 can hold me over for a year and a half, just like my 8500 has.

If you are going to overclock anyway, I'd save the cash and go for a 3200+ but either way, go for a 90nm (winchester core) part. Also, you might want to take a look at the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

Everywhere I look the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is on backorder. Also I can't seem to find this Winchester CPU. Newegg has it, but do they ship to Canada? Also will it cost much to bring it over the border. Final question, which 6800 is the best? I was thinking of getting a Leadtek.

I hate to ask, but how exactly did you simultaneously bork your mobo, CPU, GPU, and RAM?

It was the familys PC, so I have no idea since I never use it. But somehow none of them would work when I tested them.

1. So you are going to build a OC rig only so your family can "bork" it up again? Or will this be your pc?

2. I also live in Calgary, and recently picked up my system (see sig) mainly through NCIX.com. Have you checked these guys out yet? They are what I would call the Newegg.com Canadian equivelant. Memory Express (as if you don't know who these guys are) carries some decent stuff, but NCIX blows them away.

Shoot me a PM if you have any Canadian computer related questions. I'm more than happy to help.

Hockey what? Thats right, walk away USA!

This will be my PC. I will be buying most of this stuff from NCIX. Although I might buy the RAM from Vibecomputers since they seem to actually have it in stock.

Do you know of any Canadian retailers that have the 3500 with the Winchester core, I see newegg has it but I am sure they don't ship to Canada.

Best thing to do there is to go to MemoryExpress during a slow time, around 11am, and very politely ask them if they can match a stepping for you.

- Do your homework though, make sure you can explain to them the specific suffix of letters you are looking for on the heatspreader.

- If you are really nice, and they dont have one at the location you go to, they might even call the other store and get them to check.

I can't promise you anything, but I did this once when I was picking up a 1600+ a long time back and they hunted and eventually found one for me. I guess it just depends who you talk to and what kind of a day they are having.

Just a thought though, You might want to take a look at the OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 512MBx2 DDR that NCIX offers, its only $30 more than what you are looking at now, and low and behold is using the same PC4000 chips, its just that they are guaranteed to run 2-2-2-5 at 200HTT so they spec them PC3200. I am running mine at 225HTT with the same timings, and no problems, if I fool with the timings and DRAM volts, I can get them to ~270, but I haven't had time to fine tune yet.

B

Well I looked around for the Winchester. I can only find it on eBay, and it doesn't look too expensive. I will try and see if MemoryExpress has it, and I hope they do. About the ram, I figured I would switch from the OCZ and go with Corsair 2x512 3200XL with the 2-2-2-5 timings. Also I figured I would spend the extra money and buy a Sapphire Radeon x800 PRO VIVO from NCIX, and go with the MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard.

It would be nice if MemoryExpress had most of this stuff since I prefer to actually go to a store and buy it rather then get it online. Unless there is something better then this current configuration, I will just order all of it but the CPU (hoping that MemoryExpress has it).

Back