NEED help bad

Autopia

Limp Gawd
I just ordered a new processor, the one from tiger direct, the Oem, well it is a 64 bit proicessor and I have a 32 bit windows xp, is anyone runniing that combo, and if so is it runniing good? or should I just cancel the order?

The 64bit processors can run both 32bit and 64bit OS's with no problems at all. Rest easy.

u can run it no problem. but to maximize ur cpu x64 bit computing power u've got to use 64bit OS. BUT it is not necessary.

Did you buy a new motherboard? the OEM, the one from ZipZoomFly.com?

i bought a A-BIT. Motherbaord from newegg, biult on nvidia geforce 3, Im still not ready to upgrade to Sli, not really sold on it. with a geg of Pqi ram, the only thing I don't think I well like is the fact that it isn't dual channel ram baord, but it does have 1600MHz HyperTransport technology, so that should make up for that. thanks for your posts guys.

Sounds like this is your first build.

Did you buy a socket 939 cpu on a socket 754 board?

Also the nforce 3 chipset is ancient. They make nforce 4 boards for the 754 chipset now. Also the new socket AM2 boards and cpus are as cheap as the 754 socket stuff.

hehe, yah, whats the exact model of what you bought....both the mobo and the CPU

IceDigger said:
Sounds like this is your first build.

Did you buy a socket 939 cpu on a socket 754 board?

Also the nforce 3 chipset is ancient. They make nforce 4 boards for the 754 chipset now. Also the new socket AM2 boards and cpus are as cheap as the 754 socket stuff.

No not my 1st build, and YES they are both 754 sockets, Im not dumb, like I said, I didnt want SLI, Im not sold on it, that would be another 150, to 300 on a new video card. plus I'm married I have a kid, I have better things to spend my money on. so please stop insulting me...

Just because the mobo has/supports SLI, doesnt mean you have to use it, I dont, my neighbor doesnt and several others I know dont use SLI in an SLI enabled/supporting mobo.

are you saying that you can put a agp card on a PCI Express board? If not then that is why stayed with a Agp board

Autopia said:
are you saying that you can put a agp card on a PCI Express board? If not then that is why stayed with a Agp board

There are plenty of socket 939 motherboards with AGP rather then PCI Express. Also, I get the feeling you think PCI Express means SLI, which is not true. SLI is currently a NVIDIA technology (forgetting old 90's stuff) and boards that support SLI do not demand running in SLI (two cards at once).

As to your original question, of course you can run 32bit windows on the 64bit AMD processors. Those processors are quite a bit older then any public 64bit version of Windows. It would have been pretty silly for AMD to release a line of desktop processors that did not support the currently 90% market share desktop OS.

Though this may not be your first build it is pretty apparent you don't fully understand modern hardware and should probably stop being so defensive about it. People are trying to help you, not mock you.

Tweakin said:
There are plenty of socket 939 motherboards with AGP rather then PCI Express. Also, I get the feeling you think PCI Express means SLI, which is not true. SLI is currently a NVIDIA technology (forgetting old 90's stuff) and boards that support SLI do not demand running in SLI (two cards at once).

As to your original question, of course you can run 32bit windows on the 64bit AMD processors. Those processors are quite a bit older then any public 64bit version of Windows. It would have been pretty silly for AMD to release a line of desktop processors that did not support the currently 90% market share desktop OS.

Though this may not be your first build it is pretty apparent you don't fully understand modern hardware and should probably stop being so defensive about it. People are trying to help you, not mock you.

let me remind you, if you read the posts I left, I put down I didnt want to spend a lot of money, the processor was $50.00, can I get a3400+ forhat price in a 939, or even a 3200+? and yes it is old hardware, so what, Im old and Im married like I said. in other words yes I'm defensive about being made fun of, just read, dbwells and Icedigger posts. so I spent less than 250.00 for this upgrade.

No one said you are dumb, but it is quite obvious that you dove head first into these purchases without doing any reading or research into the terms, compatibility, etc. I'm all for saving money, since I'm old and married as well, but that's even more reason to take your time and know what you are buying. Knowing whether a 64 bit processor can use XP32 or not is a one minute search to get an answer. We're here to help, but you have to be willing to give us the answers to the questions, such as...what exact processor and motherboard did you buy? Post those two bits of info, and then we can keep going.

djnes said:
No one said you are dumb, but it is quite obvious that you dove head first into these purchases without doing any reading or research into the terms, compatibility, etc. I'm all for saving money, since I'm old and married as well, but that's even more reason to take your time and know what you are buying. Knowing whether a 64 bit processor can use XP32 or not is a one minute search to get an answer. We're here to help, but you have to be willing to give us the answers to the questions, such as...what exact processor and motherboard did you buy? Post those two bits of info, and then we can keep going.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ NewCastle Socket 754 CPU
Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K8 CPU Cooling Fan
MB ABIT NF8-V2 NF3-250GB 754
MEM 512Mx2|PQI D400 PQI3200-1024DBH

Autopia said:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ NewCastle Socket 754 CPU
Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K8 CPU Cooling Fan
MB ABIT NF8-V2 NF3-250GB 754
MEM 512Mx2|PQI D400 PQI3200-1024DBH

Not a bad combo, but i would have went with a 939 board/chip so you can upgrade easier down the road.

I agree, but if you were upgrading on a budget...it's still a nice system.

last upgrade I did, was when the pci express boards came out, I have a Nvidia 2 now, hehe, yeah old, I know, but I'm doing that on prupose.

dont feel bad my g/f pc i built for her is still a 754 with 3200+ with a gig of ram, I just upgraded her video to a x800 x/l because of the ATi sale, Still runs great for her so i see no need to upgrade that one yet. I think this fall i am going to rebuild both our pc's to either Am2 or Conroe... not sure yet

I couldn't bring my self to spend a lot of money, I don't game like i use too, you know stay up untile 5, 6 am, I'm now down at 9:00 pm, I do play games with my son, command and conquer, battlefront. the newest game I have is battlefield 2. just don't do it like I use too, so I didn't think that I needed something really fast, just ok.

What I was trying to tell you is that the new AM2 is just as cheap as the older socket 754.

Back