Need help.ASUS A8V..Cant get SATA drive installed.

Gmok Bonecrusha

[H]ard|Gawd
I dont see a floppy that should come with the board for the drivers.

The CD contains quite a few...which ones am I looking for?

Any help would be appreciated.

I dont have the motherboard but I heard you have to figure out first what controller you are using, the VIA one or the Promise one (it depends on where you are hooking it up.
I think the Promise controller uses drivers named "fastrack" that you can copy from the cd to a floppy with the make disk thing.
Someone with real first hand knowledge will drop by, don't freak out. :)

I just went thru this last night with there tech support

the 378 sata drivers you have to use on the raid ( RED ) sata on the board just do it in a non-raid setup and in the bios set it to non raid but to ide something i could look again but .. there tech support rocks very helpful

if you use the promise ones you can plug it into sata1 on the board the normal sata it's wierd to me that is backwards ..

but either way you can run it on the raid controller wth just one drive

hope that helps i got my new Raptor working just awsome

Supposedly the VIA SATA ports aren't locked... beware if you're overclocking, use the promise instead.

Well that explains why I've screwed two setups using the VIA SATA while overclocking. One with Raid 0 and saved one using non Raid. Seems when I raise my HTT (FSB) to or over 270 it screws up the drives.

Now can I just switch over to the Promise contoller or would I have to format to start using it going from VIA?

BioVader said:
Well that explains why I've screwed two setups using the VIA SATA while overclocking. One with Raid 0 and saved one using non Raid. Seems when I raise my HTT (FSB) to or over 270 it screws up the drives.

Now can I just switch over to the Promise contoller or would I have to format to start using it going from VIA?

Look at Section 16 in this link (16.VIA SATA/RAID Controller problems):

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591&page=1&pp=30

Thanks Impulse.. I never read Super Nade's whole post... I just posted my spec and ran.. :D

This is good info. Thanks for the link. I'll be switching my shit out to the promise controller tonight -- i just figured out that's what's been holding me back from 2500+mhz (270+FSB) on my 3000+. Related: I destroyed one of my drives a seagate 160GB SATA drive, by o/cing too high on the via controller (i hope!). Drive was fine one minute, i had just extracted ~5gb of stuff, rebooted and the drive now shows no disk space #'s and i get a strange windows error if i try and double click on it. I tried partition magic, but the program won't even load with that drive plugged in. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this bastard reformatted? Sorry for the off topic (kinda) post...

Hmm, that's a tough one... Though I don't think OC'ing could permanently damage a drive that wasn't already on a downhill path. Could ask in the Storage boards if they've heard of this before though.

Try booting up in knoppix and partitioning it there... if it doesn't work in linux, it's really dead.

Back