Need help 12/4/2007 by end of today ^_^

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
So, last night my PSU bit the dust and I don't have the warranty information, the box, the receipt or anything.. It's 2 years old but I think it might of still be warrantied.. ANWYAYS...

I'm heading to the store tonight to purchase a new PSU. I need something that is not over kill but I also need enough power to feed to the hunger that is a ATI Radeon x1950 pro 512mb HIS AGP card.. It requires 12v 30a I believe. Pretty aggressive from my understanding.. my old 500 watt PSU could handle it. It was An ANTEC Phantom 500w.

The caps on the PSU burst and it is now dead.. I see a lot of people talking well about Thermaltake Tough series and Corsairs... Any particular model that is less than or around $100?

Just so everyone knows what I'm looking for if you can Please help this is my system specs below:
AMD 3700 san diego core
MSI Neo2 Platinum
2x 73gb Raptors 10k rpm
1x ide WD 160gb
2 gb OCZ platinum
HIS x1950 pro 512mb @ 621 <--overclocked by HIS
1 Sony DVD RW
XiFI Fatality w/ the 5 1/2" drive bay insert
3.5" Memory card reader

Breakdown is:
2 x sata power connectors - 2 raptors
3+ normal connectors for the - cd rom, fans, IDE drive
2 floppy connectors - Soundcard, 5 1/2" insert
1 PCI Express extra power plugin for the ATI AGP card

Please someone help me out. I'm looking up info too but I want to try and AVOID bad caps. I respected ANTEC for a long time but that's just idiotic for $150+ dollars I get bad product.. my stupid fault for not keeping all the info i need for it.

Thanks,
Dillirium

Yeah, the Phantom used caps that were prone to that kind of failure. Pick up a Corsair HX520. Or a 620 if you see a multi-gpu setup in your future.

...I'm heading to the store tonight to purchase a new PSU...
Dillirium

Just to focus on that part, where are you going? Alot of stores, that I know of anyway, carry a limited supply of PSU's. So knowing where you are going, we can pick the best model that the store has. Of course, you may know of a good computer store, I don't know, I just want to make sure whatever we suggest, you are able to buy.

Rabid nice pick.. that's actually the one I was looking at on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Mad you are also correct. I was looking around Columbus, OH and I can't seem to find a store that holds these.. Looks like I'm going to be ordering it online. Really sux but oh well.

Thanks for your help guys. Btw... is newegg still good deals or is there better? I know CostCo is pretty good but any other sites like newegg?

Have you tried checking http://www.microcenter.com/ ? They have a store in Columbus, OH, carry the corsairs on their site and have in-store pick-up. This is if you want to pick it up today, I assume you can find a better price on-line. Also check the review on the corsairs today! I have the 620, it was easy to install with the modular cables in a HTPC case and has been fine so far.

Back