Need guidance on installing drivers for two un-identical Nvidia GPU's for rendering.

Ski

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short: I've currently got a GTX 780 ti currently installed and will be adding a 970 in the second slot for my Sabertooth x79 board. I'm primarily doing this for 3D GPU rendering to offload the usage from the 780 to straight rendering while the 970 will run the viewport. Now the question I have is how do I go about installing the drivers for the 970?

• Do the drivers have to be the same version (like 417.22 for example) but specific to each model #?
• Can I simply insert the 970, boot to windows, and install the drivers?
• Will I need to use DDU and uninstall everything first?

If anyone is familiar with this process, let me know what the protocol here is because I've scowered the internet for 20 minutes with little info on this simple procedure.

Thanks.

I kept a GTX680 in as a secondary card for extra monitors when I got my RTX2080 and they are both happy to use the same driver. I only have to run the Nvidia driver install once and it will update the driver for both cards. Nothing special required.

If your secondary card was so old that it no longer used the current driver anymore, then it might be an issue.

Reactions: Ski
like this
I kept a GTX680 in as a secondary card for extra monitors when I got my RTX2080 and they are both happy to use the same driver. I only have to run the Nvidia driver install once and it will update the driver for both cards. Nothing special required.

If your secondary card was so old that it no longer used the current driver anymore, then it might be an issue.

Awesome. Thanks.

Can confirm, I ran a GTX1080ti and a GT710 on the same mobo for quite a while, no second driver was required. Doing Nvidia's little "driver selection" jig on their website led me to the same file download for both, and once it was installed they were both taken care of.

Reactions: Ski
like this
Word, good to know. I'm gonna be setting it up tomorrow so based on your guys assessment I shouldn't have much to worry about then.

You should have no problems as all of the above said. I have a Titan X Maxwell in the same system as my 2080 Ti and both run the same drivers.

Back