Need GPU for wife

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Building an AMD 2700 system and looking for recommendations for a GPU. She'll stream Netflix and maybe play Lego video games so don't need anything to powerful.

depends on resolution but honestly i'd go super cheap and check craigslist and try to find a 1060 6GB or RX580 if she's just running at 1080p. also check evga's b-stock sales they do every wed i think it is. they have had some crazy low prices on 10 series cards.

What resolution is the display in question?

I went through this maybe a year ago with the machine I built for my girlfriend, and the problem I had was that I needed to support two 4K displays. She doesn't play games, but she did need at least two DP connectors for those displays, and that actually ruled out a lot of the lesser GPU options. I ended up with an RX590 that I got on sale, and I'm pretty impressed with it.

depends on resolution but honestly i'd go super cheap and check craigslist and try to find a 1060 6GB or RX580 if she's just running at 1080p. also check evga's b-stock sales they do every wed i think it is. they have had some crazy low prices on 10 series cards.
At this point I would wait for AMD 5500 cards have to bring. They should be coming out soon.

At this point I would wait for AMD 5500 cards have to bring. They should be coming out soon.

even then you're just getting roughly rx590 performance anyways, might as well just get the 580 for 100-120 bucks used.

RX 580 for netflix is a horrible idea IMO. I'd much rather get something newer but less powerful that will consume far less power and play anything equally well if not better especially if it has hardware decoding for more formats. I'd even go fanless.

Ah, the effects of AMD being unwilling to build an APU with more than four cores...

Look for something that is silent at idle. What it is doesn't matter too much, but you do want at least 4GB of VRAM.

Building an AMD 2700 system and looking for recommendations for a GPU. She'll stream Netflix and maybe play Lego video games so don't need anything to powerful.

You're rating is [H]ardness Supreme and you have to ask for help with that? OMG :ROFLMAO:

Cirrus logic 5424. The VLB version is noticeably faster than the isa one.

Cirrus logic 5424. The VLB version is noticeably faster than the isa one.
I dont recall the 5424 but I have a VLBus 5428 that somehow got saved!
Hey op ...

Reactions: Wat
like this
Get her a 2080ti, silly. Lego games now, full Overwatch League starter shortly.

(And if not, silently swap it out, and you get a 2080ti)

I dropped my 3600 back in this system on 2133Mhz memory .. It's a Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8Gb I picked up on Black Friday a year ago with free games and the reason why Nvidia is having a hard with it in my option is that video card is very robust in DX 12

a 1060 6GB allows for Monster Hunter World at close enough to max settings at 1080p. It's what my fiance's been using and we've co-oped a LOT. If she's not sensitive to things like AA or perfect framerates, a 1060 or equivalent should do fine.

1650 SUPER if you're going the brand new route?

Low power consumption, matches the RX580 and will play some games pretty well. No need for a high end card for that use case.

Ah, the effects of AMD being unwilling to build an APU with more than four cores...

Look for something that is silent at idle. What it is doesn't matter too much, but you do want at least 4GB of VRAM.
Yeah they really need to fix that. At least release a 3600 with an iGPU.

Yeah they really need to fix that. At least release a 3600 with an iGPU.

Well, in theory, they could replace the second CCD with a GPU that hopefully has an HBM interposer setup like they built for Intel. That's up to eight cores with a very decent GPU that doesn't eat too much cache or memory bandwidth, and honestly that'd top it out for most people.

I got my wife a 1660 Super for her system which is only pushing 1080p resolution. Even a 1660 Super is probably overkill, but for $220 it seemed like a decent choice. I was considering a 5700 but that was closer to the $300 mark.

Well, in theory, they could replace the second CCD with a GPU that hopefully has an HBM interposer setup like they built for Intel. That's up to eight cores with a very decent GPU that doesn't eat too much cache or memory bandwidth, and honestly that'd top it out for most people.
Hopefully they figure something out, I know its not a big deal as most people use a GPU, and I imagine that the new chip layout hinders their ability. But I really appreciate how intel still has a gpu in the 9900k. Its nice to have for troubleshooting, or re-purposing the chip down the road.

Hopefully they figure something out, I know its not a big deal as most people use a GPU, and I imagine that the new chip layout hinders their ability. But I really appreciate how intel still has a gpu in the 9900k. Its nice to have for troubleshooting, or re-purposing the chip down the road.

I use them all the time, and they're only going to get better.

I use them all the time, and they're only going to get better.
Use what? iGPU's?
I had a Ryzen 2200G and was pretty impressed with it. I could turn down settings and play BF3/BF4 at 1080p. Pretty impressive, especially considering the tiny systems you can build with no discrete GPU. Looking forward to them getting even better.

Back