need GenControl alternative for Windows 7

Any chance you could relate any changes you had to make to get it to work?

From memory:

Run as Domain Administrator (or user with Administrator rights on both machines).
Enable File and Printer Sharing and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) for relevant subnet in Windows Firewall
Make sure Windows Management Instrumentation and Remote Registry services are running on the remote machine
Make sure Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Build 1511 KB3135173 is installed (this is what seemed to fix my 'The EventLog could not be accessed on xxx' error)
(Also make sure your antivirus software isn't blocking RemoteControl from installing TightVNC remotely)

I am able to use RemoteControl to connect from Windows 10 to Windows 10. Let me know if still not working & I'll take another look.

Last edited:
Ok, finally got it to partially work (had to enable RemoteRegistr via Group Policies, not sure why I had to do that for Win 10 but not Win 7)...

But, clicking the 'Send Ctrl-Alt-Del' doesn't work, nor does clicking the 'Power' icon in the lower right corner.

So, I connect and can see the screen, but I can't do anything.

Ok, got it working (Win7 > Win10)...

To get 'Send Ctrl-Alt-Del' working I also had to enable:

Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Logon Options
- Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence (enable)

Nice one. The security setting you mentioned is the 'SoftwareSASGeneration' key mentioned under 'Information / How it Works' in Remote Control. Obviously it's not being set correctly on your computer. I've never tried this.

I'll upload the latest version (1.8.1) at some point so that others can use it.

Nice one. The security setting you mentioned is the 'SoftwareSASGeneration' key mentioned under 'Information / How it Works' in Remote Control. Obviously it's not being set correctly on your computer. I've never tried this.
Actually I think that it is disabled on Win 10 by default, whereas it wasn't on Win 7. So apparently it must be enabled in order for the registry key to have any effect.

I'll upload the latest version (1.8.1) at some point so that others can use it.
I found a copy I had downloaded previously, but I decided to continue using 1.7.3 for two reasons:

1. 1.8.1 brings up a UAC prompt for elevated access, 1.7.3 doesn't

and

2. 1.8.1 takes much longer - 8-10 seconds - to show me the target desktop. 1.7.3 shows me the target desktop in about 2 seconds

Alas, I too have the same issue with Windows 10 trying to remote control Windows 7 clients. I too am using the 1511 build, but I'm still getting the "EventLog could not be accessed" error.

I've checked all the steps outlined above and, to my knowledge, I think I've headed them off. I don't even have AV on my laptop yet (it's that new a build!) and firewall is off corporately, so I don't think that's the issue.

Can you give me any more tips to try libertytrek, please?

hi, I am also having the same trouble using RemoteControl 1.8.1 with Windows 10 pro fully patched, the EventLog could not be accessed error. Works fine in our environment from Windows 7 Pro machines.

This is just a request. It would be ideal if there was an option to have the program check for the vnc client on the remote user's machine rather than copying it every time. My one user is on a terrible dsl connection and it takes over a minute for it to copy the vnc client every time. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice.

This is just a request. It would be ideal if there was an option to have the program check for the vnc client on the remote user's machine rather than copying it every time. My one user is on a terrible dsl connection and it takes over a minute for it to copy the vnc client every time. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice.
That would defeat the purpose IMHO....

Last edited:
From memory:

Run as Domain Administrator (or user with Administrator rights on both machines).
Enable File and Printer Sharing and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) for relevant subnet in Windows Firewall
Make sure Windows Management Instrumentation and Remote Registry services are running on the remote machine
Make sure Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Build 1511 KB3135173 is installed (this is what seemed to fix my 'The EventLog could not be accessed on xxx' error)
(Also make sure your antivirus software isn't blocking RemoteControl from installing TightVNC remotely)

I am able to use RemoteControl to connect from Windows 10 to Windows 10. Let me know if still not working & I'll take another look.

Followed/verified these steps. It worked ONCE to connect from 10 Enterprise to 7 Pro. The next attempt to login to the same machine results in the unable to access event viewer message.
Any guess as to whether this is the local or remote event viewer?

So, part of this product is that it deploys the VNC server, starts it, connects you to it, and then when you disconnect it removes the VNC server. If you want to leave the VNC server on the remote machine (so you dont have to copy it over each time), wouldn't you be better off using a standard VNC server/client?

Following up on this... I have a fully patched ()as of today) Win10 Ent box, still can not connect to most of my 7 professional boxes out there. I had to setup a dedicated 7 box for RemoteControl...

Hey Guys... I'm still here I just don't check the forum that often. That and my organization decided to standardize remote access with Bomgar and not my tool any longer; which makes total sense since we are an enterprise and not SMB.

Anyhow, I will make a valiant attempt to spend some time on this project again. My apologies for the neglect!

Anyhow, I will make a valiant attempt to spend some time on this project again. My apologies for the neglect!

Hey Muad'Dib, great to have you back! I think the main problem people are experiencing is connecting from Windows 7 -> Windows 10 and possibly vice versa as well. If you get a chance to solve that, I think everyone will be very happy!

Thanks so much.

Thank you for your summary. I will concentrate on issues with Windows 10 first and foremost.

Thank you for your summary. I will concentrate on issues with Windows 10 first and foremost.

I have just downloaded the newest 1.8.1 file and am still unable to connect to Windows 10 machines. I get the "Connection refused (10061)" error.

I haven't updated anything in quite awhile so I imagine you are having the same issues as everyone else with using it to connect to Win10 machines.

I realized that my Remote Registry was disabled. So, I set that in policy and I now get passed the "Connection refused" error, and am now getting the "EventLog could not be accessed on xxx" error.

I realized that my Remote Registry was disabled. So, I set that in policy and I now get passed the "Connection refused" error, and am now getting the "EventLog could not be accessed on xxx" error.

I should add that this is connecting from a Windows 10 machine (fully patched) to Windows 7 machines. We only have a handful of Win10 machines in our environment.

Hello all,

I believe the problem with my application was because of the old version of TightVNC. I updated it to the latest version (2.7.10) as well as the RealVNC viewer to the latest (5.2.3). Ive tested it in a very limited capacity and it seemed to work. Since ive been so scarce lately I figured I would drop it here and let you guys play with it! Keep in mind that you will likely get an error message about the connection not being encrypted. I will work on that as I have more time.

1.9.0 Windows 10 Release

1.) Updated TightVNC Server to 2.7.10
2.) Updated RealVNC Viewer to 5.3.2
3.) Windows 10 Compatibility with the Latest TightVNC Server.
4.) Please remember that the Remote Registry service is required to be running for this application to function.

Virus Total:
**THERE ARE FALSE POSITIVES HERE DUE TO BEING COMPILED WITH VISUAL STUDIO 2015..

Code:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f4fa7a6d82d1bc3788ec51834543ca8cd650cac32868fef3eda0a8a5b2971365/analysis/1472856816/

Download Link:

Code:
http://www.tschantz.name/RemoteControl/Old/

Please Provide Feedback

Last edited:
I couldn't stop..

1.) Fixed Spelling in Release notes since apparently i cant spell.
2.) Fixed issue with new RealVNC viewer prompting about "Unencrypted Connection".

Virus Total:
**THERE ARE FALSE POSITIVES HERE DUE TO BEING COMPILED WITH VISUAL STUDIO 2015..

Code:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b4c7f78b97429d3b6fe8bbaaf45b2a7ad34eb139312f8c5b75e497249becb891/analysis/1472859729/

Download Link:

Code:
http://www.tschantz.name/RemoteControl/RemoteControl.zip

Please Provide Feedback

I couldn't stop..

1.) Fixed Spelling in Release notes since apparently i cant spell.
2.) Fixed issue with new RealVNC viewer prompting about "Unencrypted Connection".

k

Thanks, will give this a try when back at work!

I couldn't stop..

Please Provide Feedback

FROM Server 2008 R2 TO Windows 10 b1511 -> Works fine
FROM Server 2008 R2 TO Server 2008 R2 -> Works fine
FROM Windows 10 b1511 TO Windows 10 b1511 -> Works fine
FROM Windows 10 b1511 TO Server 2008 R2 -> Error message, Title: 'EventLog Problem', Text: 'The EventLog could not be accessed on <machinename>'

I get this from multiple Windows 10 computers to multiple Server 2008 R2 computers. Since Server 2008 R2 is the same codebase as Windows 7, I guess the issue is the same.

Can this be fixed?

I will look into it next week. I don't know why connecting to Svr2k8R2 would be different when your coming from a different operating system; unless you have outbound firewall rules that are in play. Most of the time, only inbound rules exist. Thanks for the testing. Is it at least better than before?

I will look into it next week. I don't know why connecting to Svr2k8R2 would be different when your coming from a different operating system; unless you have outbound firewall rules that are in play. Most of the time, only inbound rules exist.

I'm not sure why, but it feels like compatibility rather than firewall - happens on all Windows 10 -> Windows 7 / 2008 R2 connections regardless of firewall. Perhaps something to do with connecting to the Event Log via API? Hopefully you'll be able to replicate!

I'm not sure why, but it feels like compatibility rather than firewall - happens on all Windows 10 -> Windows 7 / 2008 R2 connections regardless of firewall. Perhaps something to do with connecting to the Event Log via API? Hopefully you'll be able to replicate!

Can confirm, downloaded 1.9.1. Ran on Win10 Ent 10586.545, connecting to Win7 SP1 Pro. EventLog Problem; The EventLog could not be accessed on <host name>.

That's a good idea, think I'll add it to my version. Don't know what happened to M, but still no updated version from him. :(

Edit: 06/30/2016 - Nevermind, that would defeat the purpose IMHO as well....

A traditional vnc install is always running and listening. This program starts and stops the service automatically every time and all I have to do is put in the machine name. They are very different. A simple checkbox asking if you want to leave the exe on the client side and a check on the server side to look for the exe is all I'm looking for.

We are connecting from Windows 7 and 10. After updating remote machines to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), we cannot seem to connect to them any longer. I get a connection refused 10061. This is using the latest version 1.9.1 (if I use older versions, it just crashes).

Can you provide a screenshot of what happens? Or more information? I cant seem to reproduce as with the latest version that I posted (1.9.1) I don't have any issues with going from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

We get this issue going from Win 7 -> Win 10 and from Win 10 -> Win 7.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 59
We get this issue going from Win 7 -> Win 10 and from Win 10 -> Win 7.

Can you try connecting to a Windows 10 computer that you have never connected to before? If you get this error, can you log into the computer you attempted to connect to and run the following powershell command as an administrator?

Code:
(Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog).pschildname

In the output, if you see a line entry called "RemoteControl", then run the following:

Code:
(Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\RemoteControl).pschildname

That output should list "RemoteControl" and "RemoteControlSrc". Either way let me know if it does or doesn't.

Please remember that this must be done on a computer you have never connected to before.

Thanks!

Edit: I was using an older version, apparently. On the latest version what happens to me on Windows 10 AU computers is I get a connection refused by host (see below). I have another VNC type program that works (it just is laggy, so I don't like using it) - so obviously I have access. Also, just a nagging thing, but every time I try to connect, it brings up a VNC license agreement ...EVERY time. Even after I agree.

7nvXtfG.png

Last edited:
Can you try connecting to a Windows 10 computer that you have never connected to before? If you get this error, can you log into the computer you attempted to connect to and run the following powershell command as an administrator?

Code:
(Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog).pschildname

In the output, if you see a line entry called "RemoteControl", then run the following:

Code:
(Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\RemoteControl).pschildname

That output should list "RemoteControl" and "RemoteControlSrc". Either way let me know if it does or doesn't.

Please remember that this must be done on a computer you have never connected to before.

Thanks!

I do not get an entry that says RemoteControl when I run the first command, so therefore I believe I cannot run the second command. The results of the first command were:

Application
Hardware Events
Internet Explorer
Key Management Service
OAlerts
Security
System
Windows Powershell

I have confirmed that Remote Desktop is enabled via the Remote Settings, and that any protocol can be used. We also have the local firewall turned off.

It appears that in our case, most of the issues were caused by Windows 10 possibly resetting the remote registry service to disabled?

However, even on enabling the service, it is set to trigger for the start. I'm not certain what "triggers" it though. There seems to be limited information on this. I'm curious if using this program will trigger the service or not.

Thanks for the information scooter I think that's the problem. I will reach out to you directly to test a version that should log an error so we can get to the bottom of why it cant create the event source on your Windows 10 boxes.

RE- Remote Registry service for whoever asked that question. This application requires that the remote registry service is Enabled and Running. It does contain logic to enable the service and to start it and when done connecting it should stop it and disable it if that's the state it was in before connecting.

Last edited:
Hi Muad'Dib, just to say, we're still getting the error with RemoteControl 1.9.1 from Windows 10 1511 -> Windows Server 2008 R2 only.
I've checked and the remote Windows Server 2008 R2 computer already has the RemoteControl/RemoteControl/RemoteControlSrc records in place.
Happy to run a debug build with you as well if that would help get this fixed.

Hi Muad'Dib, just to say, we're still getting the error with RemoteControl 1.9.1 from Windows 10 1511 -> Windows Server 2008 R2 only.
I've checked and the remote Windows Server 2008 R2 computer already has the RemoteControl/RemoteControl/RemoteControlSrc records in place.
Happy to run a debug build with you as well if that would help get this fixed.

Thanks.. Ill probably have you test as well after I get deeper into what is going on. I really wish I could reproduce this on my end.

The issue with the eventlog appears to be something with Windows 10 and the .net EventLog Class. I have found other reports of the issue without much insight into what could be done to remediate. Interestingly, I don't have this issue in my environment.

Here is an example of one thing I found (read the last comment) that explains code and issue:
https://richardspowershellblog.wordpress.com/2007/03/06/writing-to-eventlogs/

On your windows 10 boxes that have this problem, do you have .net framework 3.5 installed via "Turn Windows Features on or off" by chance? If not, what happens if you install it and reboot? Do you still get the error?

Hi,

Yes, on Windows 10 we've got '.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)' installed (and, for that matter, on the remote Windows Server 2008 R2 we have '.NET Framework 3.5.1' installed). Is this the same issue? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38583766/writing-to-application-log-on-a-remote-windows-7-machine

I get the "The procedure number is out of range" error when running Write-EventLog from the blog post with an additional line running $log.set_machine("<remotemachine>") as well:

Exception calling "WriteEntry" with "2" argument(s): "The procedure number is out of range"

Here's the list of features we have installed on the Windows 10 machine (Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | ? state -eq 'enabled' | select featurename | sort -Descending) - can you post yours?

FeatureName
-----------
Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64
MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2
MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2Root
NetFx3
NetFx4-AdvSrvs
WCF-TCP-PortSharing45
WCF-Services45
RSATClient-Features-NetworkControllerTools
RSATClient-Roles-DamgmtTools
RSATClient-Roles-RemoteAccessPowerShell
RSATClient-Roles-RemoteAccessMgmtTools
RSATClient-Roles-RDS
RSATClient-Roles-RDS-Gateway
RSATClient-Roles-RDS-LicensingDiagUI
RSATClient-Roles-RDS-LicensingUI
SMB1Protocol
WorkFolders-Client
Xps-Foundation-Xps-Viewer
Printing-Foundation-Features
TIFFIFilter
FaxServicesClientPackage
Printing-Foundation-InternetPrinting-Client
TelnetClient
WindowsMediaPlayer
MediaPlayback
NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45
Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features
SearchEngine-Client-Package
MSRDC-Infrastructure
Printing-XPSServices-Features
RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-Dfs
RSATClient-Roles-FileServices
RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS-AdministrativeCenter
RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-SR
RSATClient-Features-Clustering
RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-FSRM-Management
RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-Nfs
RSATClient-Roles-AD-Powershell
RSATClient-Features
RSATClient-Roles
RSATClient
RSATClient-ServerManager
RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns
RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS
RSATClient-Roles-AD
RSATClient-Roles-WSUS-UI
RSATClient-Roles-WSUS-API
RSATClient-Roles-WSUS
RSATClient-Roles-DHCP
RSATClient-Features-LoadBalancing
RSATClient-Features-IPAM
RSATClient-Features-NICTeaming
RSATClient-Features-GP
RSATClient-Roles-VA
RSATClient-Features-ShieldedVMTools
RSATClient-Features-BitLocker
RSATClient-Roles-DNS
RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices-OnlineResponder
RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices-CA
RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices​

Muad'Dib, could you run the same command on your Windows 10 for comparison?

Back