need GenControl alternative for Windows 7

sabregen

Fully [H]
Previously used GenControl to get into XP. Remote desktop isnt an option, need to see the current session and user controls. Need a program that will function like GenControl did on XP, but for Windows 7.

GenControl: run from an administrative PC, type machine name you want to control, it copies the VNC server to that machine's admin share, and starts the service, then conects the admin machine. No end user interaction. It's published in the GPL, so it's free. When you're done, the controlling machine deletes the VNC server and stops the service.

ahhh.. gotcha.
I tried doing some searching, but didn't find too much other than it allows for remote sessions.
didn't see anything about it doing all that too.

hence my dilemma! I wish it worked with Windows 7, but it doesn't

I haven't tried this application before on Windows 7, so I don't know exactly what issues you are having with it working on Win7. Does it work if you disable UAC?

Why not use the built in remote assistance(which is different from remote desktop)? Thats what we use and it works great. You can see the user's screen and optionally control it, including UAC prompts (with the right GPO settings).

because that requires user intervention, which is what we're looking to avoid.

I hadn't heard of that remote app..a quick Google showed me. Been around for a while, but I saw they had an updated version 1.1 that came out May of last year, compatible with Vista. Did you try that one?
And then noticed Gensortium let their domain go...so guess they're not around anymore.

because that requires user intervention, which is what we're looking to avoid.

I hadn't heard of that remote app..a quick Google showed me. Been around for a while, but I saw they had an updated version 1.1 that came out May of last year, compatible with Vista. Did you try that one?
And then noticed Gensortium let their domain go...so guess they're not around anymore.

really!? got a link? I havent seen this

There are only 2x that I can think of, both are not free. Although I have had experience with both, I found IntelliAdmin the best.

IntelliAdmin Remote Control
Dameware Mini Remote Control

PS I only created this account so I could let you know, if you do have any questions please contact me via email.

CyberCitizen [+] adam dot com dot au

Hello,

Sorry to bring back this old thread from the dead.. but i was struggling with the same thing. Trying to find a gencontrol alternative for windows 7+.
I searched and i searched for the GenControl source code to see if i could update it... but i had no luck.

Instead i decided to write my own program that does exactly what GenControl does... but using the latest version of TightVNC. Additionally making sure its not quite as buggy and also making it useful on Vista + devices. (Actually tested on Windows 7 and Server 2008).

It hasnt been ran through the motions too much yet, but please feel free to check it out and provide me feedback on it.

You can download the excutable at the following link:

http://depositfiles.com/files/dln5tmdl5

FYI.. here is what Jotti says:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/645a082bb336b105df43f829d13b26d084f421b3

Have fun!

PushVNC7

I am still using IntelliAdmin, give the trial a test. PushVNC7 works but does leave files on the pc that your connecting to (doesn't clean nicely). IntelliAdmin does however do a clean up after & any file that has hooks in it gets removed on re-boot.

There is also ChrisControl Although I can't remember if it works on Win 7.

Hi Muad'Dib,

Thank you for your program, it looks really nice. I couldn't connect to a computer on Windows XP Is the program WinXP compatible?
ibjoHyRKjaFcNA.png

Last edited:
I'm having issues getting this to run on 64 bit machines. Is that normal? I've connected successfully to our XP 32 bit machines but we have one XP 64 and all our Windows 7 machines are 64 bit.

I'm having issues getting this to run on 64 bit machines. Is that normal? I've connected successfully to our XP 32 bit machines but we have one XP 64 and all our Windows 7 machines are 64 bit.

Ive tested my application against Windows 7 x64 and Server 2008 R2 x64. So it should work. When you say "trouble" can you please provide me a little more detail on whats happening when you to to connect? This will help me help you.

I wasn't clear in the description of the problem I was having. When I try to connect to 64 bit machines (Win 7 or XP) I get a password prompt. I've tried running through some default passwords and nothing works. When I try to connect to Windows 7 32 bit machines I get an exception error like the one posted earlier in this thread. If I hit Continue or Quit on the exception error the program just hangs. The only successful connections I can make are to Windows XP 32 bit machines.

With the new version you uploaded yesterday I'm getting the same errors. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
You shouldnt be getting a pasword prompt any longer on 64 bit devices with the latest version. Is this correct?

Additionally i havent tested on 32bit windows 7. I will need to set myself up a machine with that version of windows and then see if i can reproduce your error.

Everyone please be advised that i havnt had an opprotunity to test this on multiple domains. So its possible that there will be issues along the way. I will always do my best to rectify such issues. Thanks for the help with identifying problems.

I deleted off the old version I had from yesterday and redownloaded 1.3.7 from above. I even saved it in a different spot on my hard drive. I'm still getting the password prompt trying to hook to an x64 machine. I'm using a 32 bit XP workstation. Would that matter?

Here's the message I get trying to connect to a Windows 7 32 bit machine. Thought it might help.
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at RemoteControl.Program.ConnectProcess_RunWorkerCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3625 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
RemoteControl
Assembly Version: 1.3.7.0
Win32 Version: 1.3.7.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Stuff/Programs/RemoteControl/RemoteControl.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3624 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Interesting... it says "The system cannot find the file specified" can you tell me if the "RCTEMP" folder is on your C: drive and what files are located within that folder. There should be 3. Check when you get this error message. Thanks

On 32 bit Win7 machines the error comes up before RCTEMP is created. When I try to connect to an x64 system I get the logon prompt and there are 3 files in the RCTEMP folder; screenhooks.dll, tvnserver.exe and vncviewer.exe.

Im investigating the issue your having with x64 machines. Can you check something on the x64 device your attempting to connect to?

Open the registry and tell me if the following keys exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TightVNC\Server

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TightVNC\Server

Now about the other issue where the RCTEMP folder is not created. It makes no since that you can connect to a x64 device and not a x86 device from the same computer. The RCTEMP folder and file creation is independent of the architecture of the remote device. Its all done on the local machine before the connection is even attempted. So if it works for one device it will work for another period. Now just to confirm when you get the error, the RCTEMP folder on your local machine has not been created? At the same time of the error can you also check the RCTEMP folder and file contents on the remote computer and see if anything is there?

Thanks a bunch for the help. Im currently doing some System Administrator training for Mobile Armor so i am only able to do bits at a time right now.

To clairify this is what i know (or am assuming?):

Your attempting to connect to both Windows 7 x86 and x64 devices.
Your attempting to connect from the same device each time.

On the x64 machine, both of those registry keys exist. I can export them and upload them if you'd like.

I'll answering the clarifying questions next:
I am attempting to connect to Win7 x86 and x64 and WinXP x86 and x64 workstations / laptops.
I am attempting to connect from my workstation each time. (Win XP x86)
I can connect fine to WinXP x86 machines.
I can connect but get a VNC authentication prompt on x64 machines (Win7 and WinXP.)
I get the above quoted error connecting to Win7 x86 machines.

We only have 3 Windows 7 x86 machines. I've been trying to connect to the same one each time and have been getting the above error message. When I get the error message, the RCTEMP folder isn't created on either machine. I just tried connecting to the other 2 Win7 x86 machines and it connected fine. I must have an issue with that machine and I'll look into it on my end.

I guess the only error I'm having now then is the x64 machines prompting me for a VNC password.

Ok, thanks for that information.

Sounds like i need to test and fix the x64 issues more. I will report back once i have it narrowed down. Thanks

Ok, i cant seem to replicate the issue on x64 devices. My initial suspicion was that the registry keys were not being created correctly for the server... but test after test on multiple devices shows me that its working as designed. On x64 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TightVNC\Server should exist and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TightVNC\Server. The later would only exist if you ran an older version on the device your trying to connect to.

Are these devices that you are connecting to ones that you have connected to in the past with an older version?
I have come across this every now and again and the only cure was to reboot the device that i was trying to connect to. (wasnt specific to x64 devices either) Can you try that on one of the devices and then connect again?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I tried to connect to all these machines with an old version. I can remove both keys from the registry and try connecting again. I know one of these machines is a pool workstation and could be rebooted. The other laptops are used by field personnel and will most likely be shut down and brought back up sometime today. I'll try deleting the registry keys / rebooting when I get to work today.

Did some testing with the x64 XP machine in our office. I went through the registry under HKLM\Software and removed any references to any VNC program. I'd used it as a test machine for a few other programs like this. I tried to remote it and got the logon prompt. I took a look at the registry and both registry keys were being created; HKLM\Software\TightVNC\Server and HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\TightVNC\Server. The one under just software had keys under it; the one under wow6432 had nothing under it. Exported the Software key, changed the path in notepad, imported it back into the registry and then I had settings under the wow6432 Server key. Disconnected and reconnected and it worked fine. I noticed that when I disconnect, the Software key gets removed but the one under wow6432 does not. For now, I can just import the reg key on x64 machines that I need to control.

Did some testing with the x64 XP machine in our office. I went through the registry under HKLM\Software and removed any references to any VNC program. I'd used it as a test machine for a few other programs like this. I tried to remote it and got the logon prompt. I took a look at the registry and both registry keys were being created; HKLM\Software\TightVNC\Server and HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\TightVNC\Server. The one under just software had keys under it; the one under wow6432 had nothing under it. Exported the Software key, changed the path in notepad, imported it back into the registry and then I had settings under the wow6432 Server key. Disconnected and reconnected and it worked fine. I noticed that when I disconnect, the Software key gets removed but the one under wow6432 does not. For now, I can just import the reg key on x64 machines that I need to control.

Thats so strange... they should be created in the correct area... let me continue to work with this today and see what i can find.. Thanks so much for all the feedback.

Success! Connected to 2 different Windows 7 64 bit machines with no problems. Thanks for working with me to get everything up and running.

No thank you for reporting your issues... Reporting allows me to troubleshoot and have a reliable program out there...

Please let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks again!

Back